Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth continuing with PS and LR subscription?

Worth continuing with PS and LR subscription?

I've had a subscription to Photoshop and Lightroom for nearly 12 months and it's due for renewal soon. I'm wondering what people think about the benefits of continuing the subscription, given that I don't use the cloud feature, nor any of the bells and whistles that seem to come out with upgrades.

I figure that as both programs do all that I require (and more) as-is, and many members of this forum use older versions of PS, I should manage quite well for some time to come without the cost of an ongoing subscription. The only fly in the ointment I can see is the possibility that the software may lock in the event of subscription cancellation, but I have no evidence for this. I'd be glad of others' thoughts. Many thanks.

Re: Worth continuing with PS and LR subscription?

The software will look to see if the subscription is active every 30 days or so. If you cancel, it will not work beyond that time period.

Look at Corel Paint Shop Pro and see if it will work for you. There's a free trial download.

I just use the older versions of PS & LR. I use both on a daily basis, and have yet to come across any reason for using the latest versions of each.

I used cS3 until it got locked up,(which was a huge pain in ass as I also at that time had to upgrade my computer to handle the CC.
    one computer is working with CS5 another has Cs6 on it and my personal is CC .

I will move the all to CC as time moves on and purchase a multiple computer plan.

Buy CS6 or another program and forget the extortionate rental plan.

I've been using an older version for years. I think one of my computers still runs version 6! For me, Photoshop does a couple of things that I absolutely need to do, and no other program will do those things, but the newer versions don't offer me any advantages. I think you really need to figure out what YOU need to decide this question. If you're not using Photoshop-specific things, you don't need it. On and off I have tried a couple of alternate programs and they didn't work for me, but that's just me.

If you are just looking for a good simple editing program, when I don't want to open PS, I often use Faststone Image Viewer. It's FREE! There's a lot of functionality hidden there, it's got a very clean screen, and it handles sharpening and jpg compression both extremely well. You have to figure out how to get to things, though, because they're not in front of you. It has many of the basic adjustments that PS has, working just as they do in PS, but no layers. Where it lags, and this is what hurts me the most, is in its selection abilities. Select > Feather > Adjust don't exist in any form. :-(
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Since I make my living with LR and PS, and time is money, every new or updated tool they bring onboard makes my work quicker or better and my time more productive and profitable. As faculty at SAIC I get a subscription free but I bought one anyway. I won't teach at SAIC forever (19 years right now) and Adobe has promised to stick with the introductory price-maybe not with future subscribers. Roll the dice.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

multiplex

10$ a month is almost free. when i get bored of using my old fashioned cs2,
    i'll pony up the cash without a second though.
    actually, 10$ / months will be free ... i switched my phone service from vonage to ooma a few months
    ago and saved more than 30 months worth of "adobe-months" just since the early fall ...

* Eventually your hardware and operating system will become obsolete and you won't be able to run old versions.

* Consider the total cost of all your equipment and materials. Some of us will freely spend on travel and lodging but cringe when we have to pay the equivalent of one tank of fuel for a box of film or paper.

* ...and wait for the 16-bit version of GIMP to arrive on popular platforms With a subscription-based model, you can cancel a subscription when you stop using the software.