Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glass neg carrier

glass neg carrier

I bought a used Omega D3 enlarger with Dichroic head. It came with assorted carr iers. Will I need a glass carrier for 4 x 5 negs with this head? Are carriers av ailable for the omega available similar to the Negaflat carriers for the beseler ? I have the Schneider 150mm Componon lens, would like to make 16 x 20 enlargeme nts. Thanks Chet

glass neg carrier

Omega does make an anti-Newton ring glass carrier..but frankly I've always found it to be a pain to use from the standpoint of keeping the neg. and glass static free and clean. I use a standard incandescent head and have no problems with negative buckling even @ long exposures with the standard open neg carrier. My recomendation would be to try several test prints @ longer exposures than you normally use and check for corner to corner sharpness. The Dichroic head is (as I recall) power cooled and should not cause negative buckling. If you find that it does..seriously consider investing in a cold-light head rather than a glass neg carrier. More money initially..but much less hassle over time

Re: glass neg carrier

Omega made both open an glass types.

I've never needed the glass holder when printing 4x5", but I do keep the glass holder I have on stand by

My personal rule is to say yes whenever a Omega holder comes my way, just in case....

Eli

I have a Bessler Nega-Flat somebody converted to Omega

It stretches the 4X5 flat, no glass, no extra dust

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l=1#post147283
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have a Bessler Nega-Flat somebody converted to Omega

It stretches the 4X5 flat, no glass, no extra dust

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l=1#post147283
    There can’t be extra dust. The same amount of dust falls on a Negaflat as on a glass carrier. It just doesn’t prevent popping as well as a glass carrier.

Kirk Giddings in the link says he absolutely needs a Negaflat in dusty New Mexico

More surfaces extra dust

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There can’t be extra dust. The same amount of dust falls on a Negaflat as on a glass carrier. It just doesn’t prevent popping as well as a glass carrier.
    Tin Can

Yes dust falls in a still room, but it also flows everywhere as we flap about

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Get a real glass carrier with anti-Newton glass. They're common for Omega D. There's no way to make truly sharp prints otherwise, especially if negs are significantly enlarged. Darkrooms need to be clean to begin with or dust will get even inside the enlarger itself, and onto the neg in there. Buy an air cleaner if necessary. Yes, dry desert climates can be a challenge with dust. But so is wearing a cotton shirt, which is essentially a lint factory. Keeping things clean is the name of the game.

Yup, gotta keep Sir Isaac at bay but a glass negative carrier really works.....and if you add pin registration........I sold my negasortofflat many years ago. By the way this thread started at just about that time.

Drew Wiley

My Omega enlarger was made forty years before that time. The colorhead fan pooped out, but the chassis and neg carrier - all the mechanical stuff - still works fine. I have other enlargers, so never fixed it. But it produced many fine prints over the years, all via a glass carrier.