Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to get into 8x10?

Cheapest way to get into 8x10?

I've been using a 4x5 field camera now for about 6 or 7 years. My primary output consists of scanning my negatives and printing the scans at Costco. I would like to move up to 8x10 and just do contact prints because I feel I can get a better image that way. What would be the cheapest route to 8x10?

Re: Cheapest way to get into 8x10?

Steal a camera, lens, holders and film. It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.....

Octogenarian

By "cheapest way", how much are you willing to you spend?

The cost of an 8x10 camera, a lens or two, film holders, film, possibly a heavier duty tripod and a larger dark cloth, soon begin to add up, even when purchasing used equipment.

In essence, it ain't cheap.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

8x10 pinhole camera: cooler found by the road, or a paint can. No holder needed, just some tape.

The cheapest new 8x10 is probably the Wehman at $2,200.00 for the regular model.

For cheap used, research Kodak 2D, Calumet C1 and Burke & James. Sometimes Toyo 8x10 monorails are pretty reasonable on Ebay also.

A Kodak 2D is one of the most affordable cameras on can find on the used market. The better deals are ones that have the extention rail and the sliding tripod bock -- both of which one can live without (unless one is using very long lenses.)

Good bellows, of course.

Holders -- some of the older wooden one can be bought at a cheap price -- otherwise expect 35 to 45 bucks for older plastic holders.

Lens -- depending on your imagery. Barrel lenses are relatively inexpensive -- fine if your exposure times will be a second or more (mine usually are). Semi-normal range is 270mm to 360mm. For lenses in shutters, keep an eye out for Calumet lenses -- usually a great value for re-branded German lenses.

If you don't mind a sizable camera, I bought a 8x10 Sinar P for about $800.

In a roller cooler, it's portable.

Sinars are a bargain in any format and very capable cameras.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob McCarthy; 10-Jan-2011 at 19:43. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A Kodak 2D is one of the most affordable cameras on can find on the used market. The better deals are ones that have the extention rail and the sliding tripod bock -- both of which one can live without (unless one is using very long lenses.)

Good bellows, of course.

Holders -- some of the older wooden one can be bought at a cheap price -- otherwise expect 35 to 45 bucks for older plastic holders.

Lens -- depending on your imagery. Barrel lenses are relatively inexpensive -- fine if your exposure times will be a second or more (mine usually are). Semi-normal range is 270mm to 360mm. For lenses in shutters, keep an eye out for Calumet lenses -- usually a great value for re-branded German lenses.

Everything Vaughn said is probably the best bet...IMO

Orbit lenses, as well, in shutters...rebranded...

Thanks,
    Dan

If you're just looking for a better B&W image, you should have a 4x5 enlarger. The big box stores do an amazing job at 8x10 and 4x6 prints, but if they regularly meet your needs, you either have low standards or should start buying lotto tickets. They have the capability, but not always the consistency. A nice 4x5 enlarger might be $0-400 and $50-200 for a nice enlarger lens if you don't get one or more free with the enlarger. For better color images, you should get an epson printer rather than use the big box.

If you want 8x10 experience, Alan's used and Vaughn's suggestions are good.

I bought a B&J 8x10 for $350 here and a Schneider 300/5.6 for $200 in a nice working shutter. Great lens, I got it cheap because someone had dented the rear filter ring; common problem that seriously affects the value without affecting normal use.

I like the plastic film holders much more than the wood and they are about $10 more used. Two film holders is a good start.

I bought a cheap surveying tripod and a 5/8<-->1/4" adaptor from pacific laser systems on amazon.

A box of film for 8x10 isn't a casual purchase either but if you're only doing a couple sheets at a time, it should last quite a while.

Yeah if you better images perhaps scanning and printing with better skills and tools would be better no matter what camera you use? Plus a good scanner (refurbished Epson 4990) and printer (refurb Epson 2880) are a lot less expensive than an 8x10 outfit, especially once you factor film cost in.

Like others have said, the camera is only 30-40% of the expense. 8x10 film is 4x more expensive too.

Don't get me wrong, 8x10 is awesome. But if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.