Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Grooves in film holders

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 1998

    Grooves in film holders

    I've also bought another camera: a Sanderson 5x4 hand camera. I don't know how o ld it is, but there is lots of teak, leather and brass. The back has two sprung- steel leaves. The supplied wooden film-holders have grooves or slots down each s ide along their lengths. Sliding a film-holder in, the steel leaves on the camer a fit into the grooves, thus pressing the holder against the camera.

    My problem is that my Fidelity holders don't have these grooves, so they can't s it in the correct position. I could remove the leaves, but then the ground-glass back couldn't be held in place. Only three wooden holders came with the camera.

    Does anyone know if all 5x4 wooden holders have these grooves? Is this a standar d feature on old cameras? If so, I can just find a bunch of old holders. Or can Fidelity (or other) holders be machined to fit?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 1998

    Grooves in film holders

    I have 10 old wooden film holders which came with my Speed Graphic, and none of these have grooves, so certainly not all wooden holders have them.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 1998

    Grooves in film holders

    Do your holders also have grooves that run across the narrow dimension, about 1" in from the darkslide slot? They may well be Graflex holders of the type used on the graflex single lens reflex cameras. If true, they will also be a bit wider than the standard Fidelity holders. You might check at the Graflex site www, to see if anyone there might have some suggestions.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 1999

    Grooves in film holders

    You're looking for Graflex film holders, used on the old reflex Graflexes with focal plane shutters. They're around. But you could modify ungrooved wooden holders if you had access to a good table saw.

  5. #5

    Grooves in film holders


    Skip is right, you can make new grooves on other holders to match your camera-back using a table saw. But make sure the other holders have the same "T" distance registration as you camera-back does. Otherwise, you can go to, for they might have more of the same holders you need for your camera.


Similar Threads

  1. film holders vs. plate holders
    By Rob Lun in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3-Jan-2006, 03:16
  2. shipping film/ film holders /camera to - from france
    By jnantz in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-May-2002, 10:21
  3. Alternative to vacuum film backs - (film holders)
    By Bill Glickman in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-Feb-2000, 19:32
  4. roll film holders & sheet film in backpack
    By Raymond Bleesz in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-Sep-1999, 10:25
  5. 4X5 film holders and Film Pack Adapter
    By Andy Montebello in forum Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Feb-1999, 00:52


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts