Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 72mm XL and 58mm XL, Hood?

Schneider 72mm XL and 58mm XL, Hood?

Hi,

I am getting occasional flare when shooting interiors etc, can anyone tell me if it is possible to use a compendium hood with these lenses to prevent it?

I know they are very wide and as such I have so far avoided using one.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon

Re: Schneider 72mm XL and 58mm XL, Hood?

Nobody uses these with a hood?
    Any help greatly greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by spkennedy3000 View Post
    Hi,

I am getting occasional flare when shooting interiors etc, can anyone tell me if it is possible to use a compendium hood with these lenses to prevent it?

I know they are very wide and as such I have so far avoided using one.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon
    Yes, you can of course use a compendium shade, and should always do so in these situations, at least in my view. Your camera probably has the corners cut out of the focus screen so that you can check to make sure your aperture is fully illuminated and not being cut off by the lens barrel at a given aperture. You can check the shade in the same way. If you are in a critical situation, adjust the shade so that it just avoids becoming visible when sighting through those cut-off corners. With a lens like the 58, this might not work, because the recess in which the screen sits may be too deep to be able to see along a shallow enough angle to view through the lens, but it should work with the 72. Even with the 58, though, you should be able to remove the ground glass frame and sight along a line from the corner of the image frame through the lens to check for shade vignetting.

Rick "who always carries a compendium shade" Denney

I'll take a stab at this too.

As wide as either lens is it seems doubtful that the flare causing light is entering from outside the lens's view. It could be but they both "see" so much that it could well be caused by something in the frame. So if you block the flare you may well block part of the image. I never had any complaints with my 47 or 58 even with light sources in the frame.

It might be that you need to bring the overall light levels up so the contrast level is not so high. Is it overall veiling flare or ???

Can you show an example or two?

The wide coverage of these lenses means that a lot of scene will be projected onto parts of the inside of the camera that are not film. If there are any reflections off those parts, those reflections can expose the film and be seen as flare or a reduction in contrast. Effective shading prevents this by eliminating (to the extent possible) the scene outside the film area. The 72XL is probably worse in this department than something like the 47XL, which doesn't have much excess coverage by comparison.

I would also like to see a representative sample. One reflective surface inside the camera could be causing this.

Rick "who doesn't recall what camera Simon is using" Denney

Rick and Henry, thanks a lot for your responses.

I am using a Toyo VX-125b, I hope there would be no reflective surfaces inside the camera (given the price)!

I have also used the 58mm on a Cambo wide with some similar problems.

I will post some scans but will have to rescan as I always Photoshop the problem areas out... ASAP. But they are small round or aperture - shaped dots rather than veiling flare.

Do you think it is possible that these flares are caused by the centre filter? The reason I think it might be this is that I cannot see the flare on the ground glass, as I compose without the centre filter, although the glass is quite dark in interior conditions with these lenses, so it might be that I just can't see the flare.

Thanks again scans coming shortly.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by spkennedy3000 View Post
    snipped a bunch....

Do you think it is possible that these flares are caused by the centre filter?

Simon
    Yes, that is likely the cause. I used to get those sometimes.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Hello spkennedy,

Myself,, I just try to be aware of the light falling on my subject and = important how it falls on my camera lens.
    I just flag it off even if the light is near my backside just to keep in that mindframe

Steve - thanks for your reply, but I am not sure what flag it off means?
    Not familiar with that expression sorry!

Henry,
    Thanks again.
    Did you find you could alleviate the problem by using the compendium shade?

Cheers,

Simon

I never used a proper shade. A piece of black cardboard or similar will do the trick. (that's the "flag" that Steve mentions) I simply held it in my hand or clipped it to a light stand. Sometimes I used a piece of black cine foil taped to the side of the lens and shaped into a makeshift shade.