Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: alternative to jogging stroller....

Re: alternative to jogging stroller....

If you want to drag this across uneven ground, you will find the much larger wheels on a cross-country jogging stroller to be much more convenient. It does beat carrying 70 pounds of gear around.
    The other problem with any cart that handles 300 pounds is that it is guaranteed to turn me in to a rickshaw the next time I go shooting with my buddy Glenn!

Here is a stroller for those using multiple formats -- I'm thinking especially of Jim F. for when he wants to use his 11x14, 8x20 and his 14x17 (presently under construction) at the same time!

It comes with sunshade on top and sides to protect equipment and film from the sun!

Remove babies, of course! I guess I should have saved the stroller, but the boys out-grew it 11 years ago!

I put about 4000 miles on it, including hiking trails, creek beds, beaches, and lots of sidewalks.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 5-Jan-2011 at 23:23.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Well, if trail width is a problem, then you could build a Wike DIY trailer or make something like the Extrawheel, which is more like a panier carrier.

The Human Universal Load Carrier is not yet available at REI.

Glenn Mellen

msk - Methinks the three seater as shown in post #12 would be ideal for our trips. One seat for your camera, one for my camera, and one for... ME. Unsure if 300-lb loading would be sufficient, and really thinking something with a motor would be more useful... would hate to think of saddling you with rick-shaw duty. Would hate to think of doing it, but indeed would be willing to do so.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Here is a stroller for those using multiple formats -- I'm thinking especially of Jim F. for when he wants to use his 11x14, 8x20 and his 14x17 (presently under construction) at the same time!

It comes with sunshade on top and sides to protect equipment and film from the sun!

Remove babies, of course! I guess I should have saved the stroller, but the boys out-grew it 11 years ago!

I put about 4000 miles on it, including hiking trails, creek beds, beaches, and lots of sidewalks.
    Three formats! Now that's what I'm talking about! It is on my agenda. Thanks for this Vaughn.

Jim

How about one or another of these:

http://www.sherpacart.com/

Just remember that anything with wheels is not permitted in official Wilderness Areas!

Quote Originally Posted by Nacio Jan Brown View Post
    How about one or another of these:

http://www.sherpacart.com/

I use a Sherpa Cart with a Sinar Norma and like it a lot. Small footprint and easy to maneuver.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Big Bend

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Just remember that anything with wheels is not permitted in official Wilderness Areas!
    Vaugh, what is that? Like BLM, National Parks, etc? Examples please because I had no idea about that regulation! Thanks

All of the above.

Any Federal land classified as wilderness -- no bicycles, no deer carts, no baby buggies -- nothing with wheels, except wheel chairs for the handicapped. I was a wilderness ranger for ten years with the US Forest Service. Now, that has been 20 years since I did that job, but as far as I know, nothing has changed.

Of course, this does not mean you can't get away with it, but a ticket for it -- and having to carry the wheeled device out -- would not be a fun wilderness experience.

BTW, hang gliders are not allowed either, just in case someone plans to mount a LF camera on one and fly over the AA Wilderness area!

From the Wilderness Act (Public Law 88-577 (16 U.S. C. 1131-1136) 88th Congress, Second Session, September 3, 1964):

PROHIBITION OF CERTAIN USES

(c) Except as specifically provided for in this Act, and subject to existing private rights, there shall be no commercial enterprise and no permanent road within any wilderness area designated by this Act and, except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area for the purpose of this Act (including measures required in emergencies involving the health and safety of persons within the area), there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area.

So if the area is a wilderness area as defined and designated by the Wilderness Act, then no wheels, as they are considered a form of mechanical transport. I thought that included wheel chairs for the handicapped, but it appears that an exemption is made for them.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?...sec=legisAct#4