Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Airports and 4x5 film

Re: Airports and 4x5 film

I don't know of anyone who has had the TSA actually open a film box on them unless they are not paying attention. All you have to do is tell them it is film and they'll swab it instead.

The point about putting your film into a clear plastic bag and passing it through in a separate bin from your main carry-on is a good one, so that they don't stall and cook it in the X-ray chamber.

I don't fly as much as a couple years ago but mostly my film got swabbed or ignored. If you have a lot, allow extra time.

I'll still argue that it is safer to keep the film in your possession than to be shipping it to third parties like hotels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I'll still argue that it is safer to keep the film in your possession than to be shipping it to third parties like hotels, etc.
    I agree. Hotels are notoriously unreliable receivers of shipments.

But sending it directly to the lab from your vacation spot is a good idea if you have access to a post office, assuming you use a mailorder lab anyway. That saves a shipment, reduces cost, and gets you your processed results back more quickly. It takes preparation, though. Have order forms, etc., with you before you leave.

Rick "who has had mixed results with hotel bell captains and desk clerks" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The point about putting your film into a clear plastic bag and passing it through in a separate bin from your main carry-on is a good one, so that they don't stall and cook it in the X-ray chamber.

I thought we had this already cleared out - when the staff stops the belt and looks at your carry-on secrets it is in no way cooking them any longer than when they are just passing. They just look at still pictures.

Thanks! See, you're good for something! We don't always have to argue, once in a while you're right ;-0

Frank, love is love...

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    ...You guys who refuse to fly because TSA=Gestapo must never want to go to Alaska...
    Rick, there's no ocean between you and Alaska! Ever hear of the Alaska Highway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Highway

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Rick, there's no ocean between you and Alaska! Ever hear of the Alaska Highway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Highway
    Even at my advanced stage of earning vacation time, I would have to save for a long time to drive the Alaska Highway. Don't think I haven't dreamed of it. But from Virginia, it's a minimum of three weeks there and three weeks back, plus the time you spend there. I can't carry over enough vacation time for such a trip, even assuming I don't use any of it for several years.

Also, I'll want to build a new engine for my old GMC Motorhome before attempting that trip. There is little forgiveness on that road.

Someday, probably when I'm too old and creaky to do more than look out the window at the scenery.

But in the meantime, flying to Anchorage and renting a motorhome is a pretty good plan, if you can get your stuff there. I'll devote both my carry-ons to photography equipment, one digital and one film. I can live with the loss of dignity and go this year rather than waiting another 15 years so that I can drive, heh.

Rick "no fan of flying but without any real choice" Denney

multiplex

i recently flew domestically with a boatload of film ( no sheets )
    and had no problems through the scanners or hand inspections.
    ( asa 25-800 ) ...

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    I thought we had this already cleared out - when the staff stops the belt and looks at your carry-on secrets it is in no way cooking them any longer than when they are just passing. They just look at still pictures.
    I would use the word "allegedly" cleared out... but to me not definitive.

My stuff often gets backed up and/or picked up and sent through again for another scan. But I carry a pack full of MF panoramic cameras which seems to attract a lot of attention, i.e., the reason I always send film through in a separate plastic bin.

My opinion.

bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

I, too, have noted that my gear seems to be scanned and rescanned ... as many as three (or more as I haven't always been watching the whole time).

But I have some strange looking accessories in my LF and MF kits. One time I had a harmonica (chromatica) in a back pack (not containing photo gear) that they asked to see after rescanning it several times because they couldn't figure out what it was.

I am not comfortable with the belief that the scanner only gives it one dose.
    al