Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter mount on 58mm SA XL with 3B Center Filter?

Filter mount on 58mm SA XL with 3B Center Filter?

Hi,

I'm trying to mount a filter onto a 58mm Super Angulon XL with the Schneider 3B center filter. The CF has a front thread of 86mm.

B+W makes a glass screw in filter that I could use (092 EW--for infrared), but Schneider told my that they haven't sold one of these in two years and that a 6-10 week wait is "reasonable."

So, I'm looking for some other options. I saw this page:

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_i d=000cff

and might have SK Grimes make an adapter so I could use 4x4 filters. Are there any other options?

The filter I'm going to use is completely opaque. I also don't want to mount the filter on the back element.

Thanks!

Have you tried Tiffen?

Tiffen? I don't see a Tiffen Wratten 87 that is bigger than 82mm. Or are you talking about some other Tiffen product?

I have several Tiffen filters and find them lower quality that the B+W's that I have.

Thanks,

Jon

Tiffen? I don't see a Tiffen Wratten 87 that is bigger than 82mm--or a slim version.

Or are you talking about some other Tiffen product?

I have several Tiffen filters and find them lower quality that the B+W's that I have.

Thanks,

Jon

Heliopan makes IR filters up to 105mm screw-in

Thanks Bob. But unfortunately, I couldn't find an entire list of Heliopan's filters anywhere. And I couldn't find them at B&H.

What are the odds I am going to be able to find the Heliopan IR filter in 86mm in stock somewhere in the US?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

"Thanks Bob. But unfortunately, I couldn't find an entire list of Heliopan's filters anywhere. And I couldn't find them at B&H.

What are the odds I am going to be able to find the Heliopan IR filter in 86mm in stock somewhere in the US? "

With over 15,000 SKus you will never find a complete listing.

Heliopan IR 1000 are readily available in the US in many sizes other IR filters would have about a 4 week delivery time.

B&H stocks very little B+W. Ken Hansen and PhotoMark stock far more as do Samys and other dealers.

> With over 15,000 SKus you will never find a complete listing.

Wow, that is impressive. 15,000 still photography filters!

> > Heliopan IR 1000 are readily available in the US in many sizes > other IR filters would have about a 4 week delivery time. > B&H stocks very little B+W. Ken Hansen and PhotoMark stock far > more as do Samys and other dealers.

B&H at least lists B+W IR filters on their website--they don't show any Heliopan IR filters. Nor does Samy's. Or Adorama. I wonder why that is?

I tried http://www.heliopan.com/ but this doesn't appear to actually be a site owned by Heliopan. I sent an email seeing if they have what I need, or how long it will take to get it.

Bob, since you seem to be the only person that knows anything about Heliopan, please answer me one more question: will the Heliopan filters vignette when mounted on the front of the 58mm SA XL w/Schneider 3B center filter?

Schneider said I have to use the "EW" extra wide series, but others have said the slim will work:

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_i d=008aLF

What do you say, Bob?

Thanks, Jon

Bob,

Here is the response from Robin at www.heliopan.com:

>This would be special custom order from Germany. Would take >3 to 9 months to get one. Price is $282.00

>Rob

>Robin Kanta Photographic Supply

How can I get one, as you suggest, in "a 4 week delivery time"?

Thanks,

Jon

"Bob, since you seem to be the only person that knows anything about Heliopan, please answer me one more question: will the Heliopan filters vignette when mounted on the front of the 58mm SA XL w/Schneider 3B center filter?

Schneider said I have to use the "EW" extra wide series, but others have said the slim will work: "

The easiest way is to get a step up ring to 105mm from Heliopan whose stepup rings are very thin. Then use the Heliopan 105mm filter which is supplied in slim mount as standard.

As for delivery you should call us next week. robin is an HP dealer but he is not the final authority on delivery times. We are.

800 735-4373. It is a free call.