Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

Re: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

Why not ask Custom Bellows if they have what you want

When I had 3 bellows made for my Deardorff Studio 11X14 I picked the OE USA supplier that made the originals

That was 8 years ago and they went out of business, a Rochester NY Co, not KODAK

I sent them my original bellows and my new DIY frames that match OE

They exactly copied the 1929 fabric type, construction and installation using nails, no glue

I also kept the well worn OE bellows for evidence

Maybe somebody some decade will...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    I talked to a guy called Keith.
    thanks Tobias, I have contacted him also - he is able to do the job, but looking at their current work it tends to look a bit too plastic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    Hi get in touch with this guy he made two sets of bellows for me and after 8 yrs they are still like new www.sandehalynch.com/camerawork/bellows.php
    Mitch
    thank you Mitch, I didn't know that source, so will contact him/her with some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Why not ask Custom Bellows if they have what you want
    Thanks, As said I've asked them, but they need something to copy, however my camera came without the original bellows. Further, their current product seems a bit shiny from the outside, more plastic like - which may be fine in use, but is not good enough when restoring a vintage camera in my view.

My Flickr

Any new bellows will not be NOS or OE

Is restoration of anything 100% correct

doubtful as high end paintings are often ruined by 'experts'

Good luck
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Any new bellows will not be NOS or OE

Is restoration of anything 100% correct

doubtful as high end paintings are often ruined by 'experts'

Good luck
    No you're right, not 100% of course, perhaps even far from 100%, but that would not hold back me from looking at others than custombellows.... others might be able to provide a more classic look.
    What I will do next is asking the different suppliers, even custombellows, to provide a sample of their fabric, so I can actually can see what I'm paying for - from their photos its hard to tell.

<edit 1> already one supplier has promised to send a sample of the fabric used!
    <edit 2> a 2nd supplier has promised to send a sample of the fabric used and a 3rd one denied!
    <edit 3> Sandeha told me he doesn't make bellows anymore for LF camera's.
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 5-Mar-2021 at 03:51.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    I ordered a set of bellows from Custom Bellows for my Wista DX - they have the look of split leather although I have no idea what they actually are made of. Their website is http://www.custombellows.co.uk/ current email is custombellows@hotmail.com, I talked to a guy called Keith.
    Second this course of action. At the end of the day this is quite a simplistic set of business variables in play. The cost of bellows is the price of materials and labor. People that make bellows at low prices do their best to find less costly suitable materials and inexpensive labor and when they do so it can work fine. When the lower cost materials do not hold up the skill level of the person making them is immaterial. Camera Bellows is a company that does not skimp on the materials or the labor and the bellows they produce stand tall. That is why a number of camera manufacturers including KB Canham and Linhof I believe use their services. I believe a quality bellow is an investment on par with your camera investment toward your photographic vision. The difference in price is very small and a small price to manage the risk of performance as a function of time. Buying a second set of bellows blows the cost differential savings out fo the window if the bellows fall short of expectations. A risk I am not willing to take. Good Luck
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 14-Feb-2021 at 13:09. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The difference in price is very small and a small price to manage the risk of performance as a function of time. Buying a second set of bellows blows the cost differential savings out fo the window if the bellows fall short of expectations. A risk I am not willing to take. Good Luck
    Reading this I guess you're really missing what is important for me, and this is not the price. I don't rule custombellows out - but I like a broad perspective/mindset - If I have to pay let say about GBP 200 (current custombellowsprice without import VAT) then I'm willing to pay that to a US or Chinese manufacturer as well. Custombellows says she can supply synthetic looking bellows - not everyone is happy with those. If you are happy with those; fine. Further custombellows needs an original to copy ...so thats not going to work for me either.
    Thanks anyhow but the search goes on...

My Flickr

NOT trying to push you into anything

I want to know what Custom Bellows made these from, they have square corners like mine

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1561458
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Reading this I guess you're really missing what is important for me, and this is not the price. I don't rule custombellows out - but I like a broad perspective/mindset - If I have to pay let say about GBP 200 (current custombellowsprice without import VAT) then I'm willing to pay that to a US or Chinese manufacturer as well. Custombellows says she can supply synthetic looking bellows - not everyone is happy with those. If you are happy with those; fine. Further custombellows needs an original to copy ...so thats not going to work for me either.
    Thanks anyhow but the search goes on...
    My experience is they (Camera Bellows) will do everything possible to accommodate your specific needs. The synthetic bellows material is what KB Canham uses on their 5x7 metal camera. I asked Camera Bellows to make me a straight taper bellows for my Linhof TK 45S (I open up two sets of levers on the camera to take the bellow off and put them on) and they work great. My Linhof 8x10 Linhof Karden Triplex they made me two sets of replacement bellows out of a lighter bellows material. They need the end frame for the bellows to attach it to but not the original bellows. Show them a picture of what you are interested in and they can execute on that. I have previously cut the original bellows off of the frames to make the package smaller and lighter. I bet Camera Bellows have made at least eight bellows for me over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Further custombellows needs an original to copy ...so thats not going to work for me either.
    Like Michael, that has not been my experience with them. I send the frames and spec the shape, length, and material; they do the rest. I encourage a conversation, telephonically for via email, to see if they can accommodate your needs.

Good luck with your search.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
    Like Michael, that has not been my experience with them. I send the frames and spec the shape, length, and material; they do the rest. I encourage a conversation, telephonically for via email, to see if they can accommodate your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    They need the end frame for the bellows to attach it to but not the original bellows.
    Indeed It may work for you all, but you're referring to typical modern plate camera's (Linhof and the like - that indeed make use of the more synthetical bellows material) with detachable bellows with frames at the front & back - since the vintage camera's don't make use of those frames, I can't send them such templates.

Oh well, I've asked 3 suppliers if they can send samples of their fabric used and if they can make bellows without templates for front and back frames since my camera makes no use of them.
    In the meantime, one already promised to send some. I've asked the same question to custombellows.

My Flickr