Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

Re: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

Quote Originally Posted by jack_hui View Post
    believe it or not, Chamonix use similar material for their bellow.

The source of this seller are from Beijing, check this out:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6950536660

price in Chinese dollars.
    Then where do they get their ULF camera bellows if this seller does not make them?

Far to many variables here to draw any meaningful conclusion. If the material separates or some other problem arises what do you do? If it is Camera Bellows they will stand behind their craftsmanship and make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Then where do they get their ULF camera bellows if this seller does not make them?

Far to many variables here to draw any meaningful conclusion. If the material separates or some other problem arises what do you do? If it is Camera Bellows they will stand behind their craftsmanship and make it right.
    But you are making conclusions. I know what you are saying, sometimes quality matters. Everyone is different at what they want to spend.

And there can be extenuating circumstances. For example, I have a nice Kodak 8x10 I've restored. I have about $100 in it. It needs bellows. I figure my time restoring it was about $100. If I pay more than $150 for bellows, I have too much in it. Why? Because I could have just scrapped the camera and go buy one that is complete with bellows for less.

Do you know approximately what Camera Bellows charges for 8x10?

I was quoted £185.00 for my Eastman View 8x10 exluding VAT, shipping and packing. I'd have to send my damaged bellows with its frames.
    I know I'll do it when I have the money but I was too wondering about that seller.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    But you are making conclusions. I know what you are saying, sometimes quality matters. Everyone is different at what they want to spend.

And there can be extenuating circumstances. For example, I have a nice Kodak 8x10 I've restored. I have about $100 in it. It needs bellows. I figure my time restoring it was about $100. If I pay more than $150 for bellows, I have too much in it. Why? Because I could have just scrapped the camera and go buy one that is complete with bellows for less.

Do you know approximately what Camera Bellows charges for 8x10?
    You are assisting me make my point. The question is not what you paid for your restored Kodak camera but what is its market value? You do an excellent job of restoring the camera at such a very reasonable entry cost I contend that the value of the camera goes up when you can state to a potential buyer that an excellent bellows from a reputable manufacturer is complimenting the camera and not some wanna be bellows. If $50 - $100 of financial exposure is a deal killer in this situation then I am beside myself as to why you are playing in this arena? The film costs alone are going to eat your lunch if money is this tight and I am not being critical in any way so please do not take it that way. LF and ULF photography is inherently a very expensive form of expression and for students, people with small families or others with financial responsibilities for which this does not fit in then so be it.

When photographers look at a camera they see value when it is there. Similarly when there is question as to components the price can drop proportionally. I would suspect that Camera bellows charges what the real market value for craftsmanship is because they are the standard in this business.

I have this guy making some bellows for me right now for my century. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jim Ormond
    7454 Henbane Street
    Etiwanda , CA 91739
    909-980-0606

I could have built them myself to save some money, but rarely is the first time I do something I get professional results, even if I am capable. That usually comes with practice and experience. Theoretically, I could have become a good woodworker building my own kitchen cabinets, but my wife is happy I hired it out because they came out really good and it's actually completed.

Thus I decided to hire it done instead of build bellows perhaps twice to get what I wanted. It'll be the most expensive part of the camera project so far except for the lenses. It's a small price compared to all the other equipment and expenses of the hobby.

If $50 - $100 of financial exposure is a deal killer in this situation then I am beside myself as to why you are playing in this arena? The film costs alone are going to eat your lunch if money is this tight and I am not being critical in any way so please do not take it that way. LF and ULF photography is inherently a very expensive form of expression and for students, people with small families or others with financial responsibilities for which this does not fit in then so be it.
    Does it have to be so either-or, though?

In my observations, it seems that a lot of the photogs who follow the only-the-best philosophy are actually hobbyists. A lot of times, in the real world, one has to undertake a project with finite resources, and the challenge is find to a way to maximum the end results with what you have. Back in the days of commercial studios I remember reading an article where a prominent figure suggested that really good shooters were the ones that had stuff taped to their lights. They might be using a costly sinar, etc., but the suggestion was that there were times when flexibility is what brings home the bacon.

Personally, I've had enough bad experiences with bellows that I would agree that its an area to not mess around. And, I love the feel of the pieces of equipment where I have spent good money for quality, like a nice tripod head. So, I kind of agree, but still feel its possible that this guy is producing a usable product.
    Last edited by mandoman7; 28-Dec-2010 at 11:52. Reason: to make sense
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Andi Heuser

Hi,

didn't camerabellows change into www.custombellows.co.uk
    some time ago?

Andi

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    ... If $50 - $100 of financial exposure is a deal killer in this situation then I am beside myself as to why you are playing in this arena? The film costs alone are going to eat your lunch if money is this tight and I am not being critical in any way so please do not take it that way. LF and ULF photography is inherently a very expensive form of expression and for students, people with small families or others with financial responsibilities for which this does not fit in then so be it. ....
    Don't be "beside yourself" it's really not your concern. I have noticed there are two types of people on hobby boards. The types that are "do it yourself" and the "buy retail" people. I'm usually the former. I don't buy expensive, new lenses in amazingly repeatable shutters. I shoot antique lenses mostly in no shutters. I don't buy a brand new camera when an old Speed Graphic or 2D will work. I don't buy film much, I make my own wetplate chemicals. So the costs of LF haven't eaten me alive, far, far from it. I use patience, horse trading skills, and innovation to do exactly what I want in LF.

You are right, LF can "eat your lunch..." if you do it the other way.

Now, onto bellows, I agree you want a good set that will last, say 15 years. $200 is not that much for a bellows, and I may go that route. But if someone can make a kit (like the old DIY guy), or an offshore can make a bellows for $79, is competition a bad thing? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Don't be "beside yourself" it's really not your concern. I have noticed there are two types of people on hobby boards. The types that are "do it yourself" and the "buy retail" people. I'm usually the former. I don't buy expensive, new lenses in amazingly repeatable shutters. I shoot antique lenses mostly in no shutters. I don't buy a brand new camera when an old Speed Graphic or 2D will work. I don't buy film much, I make my own wetplate chemicals. So the costs of LF haven't eaten me alive, far, far from it. I use patience, horse trading skills, and innovation to do exactly what I want in LF.

You are right, LF can "eat your lunch..." if you do it the other way.

Now, onto bellows, I agree you want a good set that will last, say 15 years. $200 is not that much for a bellows, and I may go that route. But if someone can make a kit (like the old DIY guy), or an offshore can make a bellows for $79, is competition a bad thing? I think not.
    We are not that far apart in our approach to LF photography.

I applaud innovation and congratulate those that have the skills, time and resources to build cameras. tripods, lens boards, bellows, film holders and who mix chemicals in various assimilations to do their photographic thing. But let's be perfectly honest about these situations. There is many times a much more serious investment in tools and skills that allows these individuals to accomplish what they do. Most folks do not have a wood or metal shop (or personal access to one) nor the various secondary tools or experience to even venture down this road. It is these folks that are the norm and that is who I am directing in my comments here.

For these people one must determine where it is worth the risk of implementing a far less expensive plan B or where it is not. Here is where I see it. Barrel lenses are perfectly fine as one does not really need a mechanical shutter to make a fabulous photograph. One can use a lenscap. a hat or use a Packard shutter. Older lenses can be exceptional bargains. Ditto for older film holders that can be worked over to retain their light worthiness. Out of date film or x ray film is regularly employed with great success and photographers can mix just about every chemical they need for themselves.

From my perspective the entire light seal of a large format camera including the bellows and the integrity of the light seal with each standard and the rear ground glass assembly is where one simply should not cut corners because the adverse consequences can be devastating to the photographer. Every one of us that has been at this for any length of time has gone through a light seepage problem on our cameras that has caused frustration and anxiety and is usually remedied with considerable resolve to not ever have this happen to them again. Having been down this road myself when I acquire a camera with even a hint of pin holes I do not *%^&#$ around with repairs because of the inherent risk involved. If the camera is worth owning a brand name bellows is first priority because it is a critical component in the process. Cut corners on a host of other things including those mentioned above but from my view the bellows are the lifeline of the large format camera. Do it one time the proper way and you never have to worry about it again as long as the camera is in service to you. I once heard of a photographer that walked out of his darkroom while developing negatives and took out a pocket knife and hacked the bellows off of his LF camera so they would never again screw him with light leaks.

Cheers!

Well, just to sum up: Jack is the only one with actual hands-on experience with this product, and is satisfied. Some people were happy, some unhappy with transactions on eBay. That's not new, though none of the complaints seem to have anything to do with the bellows not being light-tight, which seems to be the sticking point in this thread. Seller offers a money back, no questions asked return policy, minus shipping. For a custom-made bellows. In a couple weeks.

Now, my conundrum is whether to go for the less expensive bellows, with a very quick delivery time, or spend more for a bellows that I expect to be similar in quality, with a much longer turn-around...