Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads up on Nikon 9000 scanners

Re: Heads up on Nikon 9000 scanners

Well, over at RFF a representative from Plustek did give a very good impression as he openly joined the discussions and gave some helpful answers. Many voices asked about the possibility of plustek introducing a 120 film scanner, of course. His answer was that "I can tell you that we are well aware of the need for a high quality, reasonably priced 120 film scanner". Let's hope that this "awareness" will materialize at some point.

In the 35mm scanners it seems that the Plustek 7600i does a decent job (getting close to Nikon Coolscan V in performance) based on review by Luminous Landscape (follow the link to PDF at the bottom of the page.

I could be able to get the Coolscan in a year or two, but that will be obviously too late, for now my Microtek F1 must do the job ...
    Matus

I see someone in the US has bought 2 from Canada and is selling them on the evil for close to 4.5 K.
    The price on the evil is over 4k for a new one,
    Man I wish I had bought two so the sale of one could have subsidized the other!

For that price, I'd be tempted to go in debt a little more and get an Imacon. Passed on a couple of 8000ed's and hope I don't regret that.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

At this point, such a scanner only appeals to those with deep pockets, those who can expense/depreciate purchases over time, those with a lot of Medium Format and 35mm slides and negatives in need of scanning.

If all three, then better to get a real high-end scanner which can accommodate film that is larger, not just Medium Format. Now we're getting up towards the $10,000 mark.

How about an 18 megapixel camera, some balanced lighting, and a good macro lens ? One could make such a kit nowadays for less than $5,000 - and you'd have a camera for other purposes too, no ?

If the lens gets you in close enough, you could stitch - and thus get an even larger file.

A good used Howtek or pro flatbed could cost much less than $10,000.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I own two drum scanners. The first was $227, $100 for the second. Both came with drums, mounting stations, and macs loaded with software.

I managed to get a 9000 ED possibly the last one in OZ - first impressions are - there is a steep learning curve I have an Epson V700 and love the easy Epson Scan interface.
    Nikon Scan is a whole new ballgame.

I bought a Screen Cezanne for $1000. No way the Nikon is worth the price tag.

The Nikon is a great scanner with really, really poor film handling. The stock holder are useless and even the glass carrier isn't great.

If you can somehow keep the film flat, the scans are very, very good. But in my experience it's quite a hassle.

For $4k you can probably find a decent drum scanner or high-end flatbed, and I'd recommend either over the Nikon, at least at those inflated prices.

But it fits on your desk and you'll be able to use VueScan with it forever.... Noticed the prices on actual completed sales on eBay have settled in around $3000, although some people ask for a lot more.