Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asanuma "half-plate"?

Asanuma "half-plate"?

Hi, all -

I recently "won" on eBay an Asanuma field camera which is destined to be converted to 4x5. I was under the impression that it was a half-plate camera, but the inside dimensions of the plate back are 4-7/8" x 6-1/4", not quite big enough for half-plate (or a 5x7 back...).

Can anyone tell me what size this thing actually is? It's perfect for 4x5, and I'm just curious about what the oringinal size was. A little bummed it won't accept a 5x7 back, but I bought it as a dedicated 4x5, anyway.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Asanuma "half-plate"?

From http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../t-14666.html:

American plates from the 19th Century were usually (but not always) as follows
    1/9 Plate: 2" x 2 1/2"
    1/8 Plate: 2 1/8" x 3 1/4"
    1/6 Plate: 2 3/4" x 3 1/4"
    1/4 Plate: 3 1/4" x 4 1/4"
    1/2 Plate: 4 1/2" x 5 1/2"
    4/4 (Whole) Plate: 6 1/2" x 8 1/2"

Note that an English Half Plate measures 4 3/4" x 6 1/2"

Japanese sizes:
    "tefuda" = quarter-plate (3x4, our 3.25x4.25)
    "yatsugiri" = eighth(-cut) or octavo (6x8, our 6.5x8.5)
    "yotsugiri" = quarter(-cut) (10x12)
    "kabine" = "cabinet" (12x16.5 cm, which is very close to the English half-plate 4.75"x6.5")

The camera is half plate.

Half Plate film is nominally 4 3/4" x 6 1/2" but the exposed area is smaller. My Toyo half plate holders have an aperture of 4 1/2" x 6 1/8".

This shortening on the long side, when compared to 5x7", makes these Japanese half plate cameras very compact and appealing. The camera would need to be nearly an inch larger in both vertical and horizontal directions to accommodate a reversing back that exposed the full 5x7" frame. Or the back could have some rear extention and flare out wider like Wista and Rittreck expansion backs do, again increasing the size of the camera.

It might be worth fitting a 5x7" back, even if a full 5x7" frame can't be exposed. Then standard film and holders could be used. You could use regular 5x7" film and holders and crop, or modern half plate film holders and film.

I have one of these with the original back, and shot bellows. I'm tempted to revive and convert it to 4x5, too, as it's really well built. I love how the back just snaps into vertical stance when you open it. Goodluck, I've bookmarked your blog, can't wait to see the finished project.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I have the front standard apart; need to get some steel wool and lacquer thinner (and lacquer, and felts wheels, and... ) and get busy!

Scott, looks like a great project.
    If you are interested in adding a 5x7 back, you might be interested in my 8x10 to 7x11 conversion project. It's described here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=8x10+7x11

Best,
    Michael

Thanks, Michael! I'll bookmark that.

FWIW, the front standard is now finished...

IMG_6708 by Scott --, on Flickr

Oooh - in cleaning up the rear standard, I found some interesting little lines...

Scribe marks... by Scott --, on Flickr

The plate back is back in one piece again.

IMG_1160 by Scott --, on Flickr

Next step - fabricating a 4x5 insert!

A couple shots of where the camera is now, in case anyone's bored enough to be following along:

Progress to date... by Scott --, on Flickr

Everything's been reassembled. The metalwork didn't come out as nicely as I'd hoped, but will be completely serviceable. The woodwork turned out pretty nicely. And it's time to start in on the 4x5 insert. Still need to decide if I'm scrapping the spider to fill in the hole, or if I'm building a base plate to maintain the integrity of the original camera. Dunno. Want to keep weight down, but want to maintain operability and aesthetics. Hmm...