Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Asanuma "half-plate"?

Re: Asanuma "half-plate"?

Hi Scott:
    I interesting project. I did the same several years back by buying one from Japan. This may sound a bit morbid. But I was so amazed by the workmanship they did on the camera and holding it I would get a sense of how part of the soul of the craftmen lived on through it although they were all long dead I am sure.
    Anyways I got my wordworking buddy to adapt a 4x5 wood back and a back from a graflex camera. I was making a 5x7 back but haven't attempted that yet. I did not refinish the camera as I figured it would be too time consuming and a hassle. I made it to take pictures. However, I sure would like to have it nicely finished like you. It came with the tripod mount. I also bought a full plate camera that I did adapt to 5x7. Just to warn you, the bellows on my camera was shot, so I made my own bellows but it has a tendency to fold backwards a bit. I couldn't figure out why but then I realized that the original bellows was very thin and mine was thicker. You have to have a very thin bellows with this camera using thin material in order for it to work properly. The 5x7 folded fine but it is a bigger camera.
    Darcy

Thanks, Darcy. I wonder about the workmen as well.

I'm pretty confident that the bellows will be fine on this. In the meantime, I just stare at the nekkid camera, imagining the bright red bellows on it.

Naked... by Scott --, on Flickr

Here's the first lensboard, with a 210/5.6 Sironar-N MC mounted:

Ready... by Scott --, on Flickr

I'm liking these tiny, simple little lensboards. Just knocked out a half dozen in the same aged cherry. Will mount my 121/8 SA today, then I'll have five blanks for Petzvals and future purchases. Nice.

Man that's nice, I wish you'd take orders! I know I could never make mine as nice as this. Can't wait to see it done.

Well, the bellows arrived today. Glued them in, and all work is finally finished! Going to shoot a couple sheets tonight when the kids get home!

Thanks, Sandeha!

Asanuma, bellows installed. by Scott --, on Flickr