Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has gone digital and what are your complaints about it if any.

Who has gone digital and what are your complaints about it if any.

I want to add that everything I said above is a big ditto for Bob Moulton's contribution.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

I operate a digital studio with a Phase One Lightphase Scanback riding on an Arcus 5X4. This is pretty well state of the art, giving enough pixel res for an A3 size image at 300ppi (repro quality). It gives beautiful images - straight to the computer screen, then into Photoshop for manipulation. Proper colour circuits are embedded. It IS the current solution for high end product shots, - nearly instant- final optimised image checked, sized, masked, optimised and dropped into Quark within minutes -no processing, no scanning. But -taking time is 4 minutes (no portraiture!), and those tungsten lights are hot! Another issue is that the notional minimum speed is 1/15th sec - 800asa. This does create DofF probs with some shots (If I use film I can gain several stops). -Love the setup (and to be diplomatic I'd probably love a Toyo even more) Don't even think about flatbed scanners if fine quality is an issue; drum scans will give res, colour depth and balance though. Flatbed - even high-end)are okay for Fun only. Anyway, here's the 'rub'. I wandered onto this site via the Mamiya site -because I shoot film too. I have a really sweet M645 that I'm also using, and recently did a direct comparison -same shot with the 645 and Phase One digital. The film was drumscanned and compared directly. The film wins! -not by much, but just has an edge in colour depth and luminosity. (Yes I could use Photoshop to close the gap, but not completely (by the way I also teach PSD). I've also compared images using a Sony Cybershot 3.3 megapixel, and whilst it's a terrific little camera it's just not in the same league as film. I would also be wary of the digital backs for Medium format IF ABSOLUTE QUALITY is your aim; they are too expensive at this time. Digital vs Film is all about the end use of the job and the budget. Ultimately you want both (life's like that!). As you can see, I'm in the fortunate position of having use of an absolutely state of the art digital system, yet I still WANT to shoot film. So.... Can anyone advise me of a Rollfilm Back for the Arcus -I have to buy cheap (used) I'm also on the lookout for a suitable 150mm (or thereabouts) lens for the Arcus 5x4- No shutter required! I need good glass, but with the Phase One, the lens is left open all the time, you just adjust aperture. Could I adapt a Componon repro camera lens that I have? Any Ideas? -Julian Whittaker. Melbourne

Digital is extremely attractive because of the incredible control it gives over manipulation of the image. As one very skilled wet dark room printer I know who has gone over to digital said, going back to the wet darkroom after working digitally makes him feel like he is working with boxing gloves on.

But if you prefer the "look" of a B&W silver print, all the advantages of digital will be irrelevant. I think it is mainly an issue of matte versus glossy papers. If you like the look of platinum prints, for example, you should like digital ink jet prints which can look very similar.