Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 1200mm F24 Lens Found!!!

Drew Wiley

Re: Fujinon 1200mm F24 Lens Found!!!

If it was a 1200 Fuji A, the coverage and optical correction would have been stunning. I wonder if more than two were ever made. It was way back prior to multicoated A's. I did see one listed for sale about two years ago. They were asking $10 per mm of focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If it was a 1200 Fuji A, the coverage and optical correction would have been stunning. I wonder if more than two were ever made. It was way back prior to multicoated A's. I did see one listed for sale about two years ago. They were asking $10 per mm of focal length.
    Interesting because the one I have for sure hasn't changed hands in 6 years. Tracy said he thinks there's 5 or less of them, I wonder if Polaroid still has their two or did they sell one...? The one Fuji has I assume was probably their own first one and wasn't sold on the market, plus that was 8 years ago. So there's got to be at least 3 of them out there.

Quote Originally Posted by anton orlov View Post
    Interesting because the one I have for sure hasn't changed hands in 6 years. Tracy said he thinks there's 5 or less of them, I wonder if Polaroid still has their two or did they sell one...? The one Fuji has I assume was probably their own first one and wasn't sold on the market, plus that was 8 years ago. So there's got to be at least 3 of them out there.
    Polaroid was liquidated years ago. The Polaroid you see today is a name only used by a photo dealer/distributor in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Polaroid was liquidated years ago. The Polaroid you see today is a name only used by a photo dealer/distributor in NJ.
    Yeah, but aren't the 20x24 cameras running still? Isn't there a kickstarter right now up with Impossible guys wanting to use that chemistry and revive 100-series peel-apart films? I mean Polaroid did sell off the name and all that, I was just wondering if the lenses are still with those cameras... If not, then maybe the two they bought were sold when they went under as a corporation and who knows, maybe the two we're seeing change hands now are them...

Drew Wiley

Anton - one of em belongs to a "collector" in China who never uses any of his lenses in order to keep them pristine. Then you mention one in Fuji's own collection. Then there was that one which did sell to some ULF user a couple years ago. And if you have one, that makes four so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Anton - one of em belongs to a "collector" in China who never uses any of his lenses in order to keep them pristine. Then you mention one in Fuji's own collection. Then there was that one which did sell to some ULF user a couple years ago. And if you have one, that makes four so far.
    I might know that 'collector' - couple of my Dallmeyers went to such a gentleman a couple of months back, but the one I know uses them super rarely just to see I think.
    The math does work out though to possibly 4, that is if we know that the collector already had his prior to that sale couple years back.

Well, hopefully that Toyo setup sells and on that money I may be able to test it, then at least there will be a sample image from it out there...

Yeah, but aren't the 20x24 cameras running still? Isn't there a kickstarter right now up with Impossible guys wanting to use that chemistry and revive 100-series peel-apart films? I mean Polaroid did sell off the name and all that, I was just wondering if the lenses are still with those cameras... If not, then maybe the two they bought were sold when they went under as a corporation and who knows, maybe the two we're seeing change hands now are them...
    The bankruptcy judge awarded the name to the high bidder. Polaroid had nothing to sell at that point and their owner, Tom Petters was convicted of several federal crimes and is still in jail. His crime was a Ponzi scheme and he was tried the same year as Madoff, but never got his headlines.

Full aperture of f24 due to the #3 shutter. This would imply taking aperture would typically be f45, maybe f32 to f64. This small an aperture would limit the optical performance of the lens due to diffraction.

Apochromatic lenses of this focal length (1200mm and more) is not rare, there was a time when BIG process cameras had 1200mm focal length lenses or more. These were Apochromatic due to the demands of images they were producing, typically color separations or in the case of a 47-1/2" Goerz APO Artar that once passed my way use to make semiconductor mask from art work original size in feet x feet. This era is long gone today.

Apochromatic remains a nebulous definition as few manufactures will publish their definition of what metric is used to define Apochromatic. So, the APO moniker has about zero meaning in real life. Add to this the very serious difficulty of keeping any photographic media flat of this size is no trivial matter. BIG process cameras that routinely exposed BIG film had precision vacuum backs to assure that Foto media IS Flat and remains Flat during the entire exposure cycle.

Should be worth noting back in the day when these GIANT process cameras were being scrapped, these long focal length lenses were not in great demand thus their market value was not that high. Today, likely due to BIG view cameras with BIG film for making alternative process contact prints, the market value of these BIG lenses has gone up dramatically.

As for image circle.. this will be inherently large due to focal length.

IMO, Fuji could have easily done a better lens if not for the #3 shutter limitation.

Bernice

Haha - well, I mean I did, but it kinda decided to follow...

Bernice - 1200mm were made in Tele design usually, those would cover say 11x14 nicely, maybe 16x20 at infinity. This thing has an 1120mm circle of coverage at infinity (44in), so at infinity is can cover a plate 16x40in or like 32x32 square. Also, it's an A, which stands for Apochromatic, highest sharpness correction.

Attachment 185889

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The bankruptcy judge awarded the name to the high bidder. Polaroid had nothing to sell at that point and their owner, Tom Petters was convicted of several federal crimes and is still in jail. His crime was a Ponzi scheme and he was tried the same year as Madoff, but never got his headlines.
    Yikes!

Bernice,

Interesting point on the taking aperture and diffraction, but for some reason I'm thinking they might have foreseen that and worked it out one way or the other.

Goerz lenses are great and all, but indeed they are huge - 24in is the last one that fits into Copal 3 and the rest are barrels. And oh yeah, note that neither Goerz nor say Nikkor made them all that much faster (for similar lengths it's f15 and 12.5 respectively), which is only like 1.5-2 stops faster, so there's also that question there of what they were thinking aberration-wise there., right? On the other hand, no way to mount a shutter on those babies, so I think whoever mentioned this on the first page of comments 8 years ago was right - Fuji strategy was to make a newer, better corrected lens of same FL, but have it be much lighter, easier workable with field cameras, and fitted in an actual nice shutter.

Not worried about flatness of medium as I'll be shooting glass and aluminum with it (should I ever actually get around to it), as are a lot of people who are buying up big lenses these days. Markets change and indeed what was worthless one day may again be premium some other day, it's all cyclical.