Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food / product photography

Food / product photography

Hi all,

I posted a similar discussion over at photography-on-the.net and was prompted to post here.

I've currently got a Canon 7D (with the view to getting a Mark III) when it comes out, but I'd really like to have more flexibility over the focus areas.

I understand the pros use view cameras (have heard some use them with a digital MF back???). But I'm also aware of the Horseman and Cambo DLSR options or even the Canon tilt-shift lenses.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but I am willing to explore the pros and cons of the various options and perhaps wait a while.

Personally I like the flexibility of digital, but understand that using my DSLR as a digital back will make focusing difficult. Can this be fixed adequately by hooking the camera up to monitor?

Advice much appreciated!

Re: Food / product photography

Welcome Jarris.Hopefully those in the know here will chime in.

Your options vary wildly by price.
    1. Just get a tilt shift Canon lens.
    2. Buy a 4x5 view camera, lens, holders, and shoot film.
    3. Buy a medium format view camera and use a digital back like Phase One or Leaf.

The TS lens will give you some focus control, the 4x5 will give you the most focus options, and the digital MF view camera will give you focus control too but at a very large price point.

There is lots of good food photography in the monthly still life threads and in the Lounge/Safe Haven for Tiny Formats thread, with details on camera, film, lens, lighting etc. Perhaps the experts will visit your thread if they are around.

Or buy a 4x5 camera plus a back adapter for any major camera mount and attach your DSLR to the 4x5 with full movements. I bought a Canon mount from China on theBay. It worked perfectly with my 5DII. While you get all the movements offered by the camera (with NO risk of running off the image surface) your actual image is still 36mmx24mm or smaller, per the DSLR.

I am not recommending this choice - merely mentioning it for consideration of the options.
    Duncan Dwelle

Duncan D, which 4x5 camera do you recommend and which back adapter?

Sounds like a good option to me, but do you have any issues with focusing? How do you do it, on your monitor screen?

If I go this route, I'd be after a camera which isn't overly complicated and a has good reputation for quality (build and image).

A good option for a view camera with digital body mount that is not to expensive, I am ignoring the argument that anything "photographic" is overpriced;-), is a Shen Hao. The camera body sells for $650-700 new, they don't come up used very much, and their digital adapter for either Canon or Nikon for $200. In the USA Badger Graphics and Midwest Photo sell the gear. You will need a lens too and those can be had used from www.keh.com
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

you also may want to repeat this post in the Digital Hardware section of LF Photography. There may be more users shooting digital with Large Format cameras in that section.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

For food and product work you dont need to get a field camera like Shen Hao, instead look for an old Cambo/Calumet studio camera, price maybee 100 or 200 bucks. For the adapter, buy an broken lens and use the mount to make your own adapter from some plywood.

The best solution is a monorail camera and digital back I use a P2 with a sliding back and P45,obviously this is not a cheap option but you can pick up a cambo and P20 for not very much money, you could go down the rout of a shift lens on an Digital SLR but it has endless drawbacks , the other solution is to stick to the equipment you have and use capture One V6 to adjust the image in the software.