Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ADMIN: I think we are going to Photo.net ....

ADMIN: I think we are going to Photo.net ....

Hmmm, looks fine on Mozilla 1.0/win32...

Oh, sorry, that was Netscape. It works great in Opera.

Erik

I'm sorry for the delay in transferring the forum archives to photo.net. Some of the server slowness that you are seeing on photo.net is that we are doing some big updates on photo.net to move the 10 LUSENET forums over. Some of these are quite large, and if not done right will crash the photo.net server. We have made some mistakes and crashed the photo.net server four times in the past two days, and one of these took 2 hours to recover from.

Also, the email addresses used on LUSENET are creating a number of problems. Some of them duplicate email addresses on photo.net. This was obvious and was handled. Others duplicate email addresses on photo.net except for case. It seems obvious now, but I didn't think of this, and it meant basically redoing half the migration.

Anyway, we are working very hard to get these forums over and we apologize for the inconvenience. Once migrated, including messages that have been posted after this forum was turned back on again, I believe the people running LUSENET are planning to shut down the forums here.

Everyone who has ever posted a message to this forum now has an account on photo.net. You can go to http://www.photo.net/register and "recover" the password that have been generated for each of the email addresses that you have ever used (including all of the misspellings and case differences). It will probably take a while longer to make the posting histories in each user workspace look reasonable but at least the archives will read reasonably.

Brian, while I commend the photo.net staff and volunteers for their efforts, I thing it would have been a good idea to make sure that the transfer was really wanted before even starting to work on it.

O.K., so we appear to have been moved to photo.net whether we like it or not. G iven that, where in the morass that is photo.net do I find our beloved large for mat forum? It doesn't appear to be under www.photo.net/community/forums where t he medium format and nature forums are located (and where I would expect to find it). And once I do find it, how do I set it up to send me emails of just the t opics I want to receive?

Thanks, Kerry

The forum is currently in the location that the software puts it by default. photo.net uses a highly customized version of the Arsdigital Community System, and the default location is now somewhat obscure. When we have the forum fully migrated, I assure you it will have at least the same prominence in photo.net as the Nature or Medium Format forums.