Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Ultra Large Format Camera

Re: Ultra Ultra Large Format Camera

I suppose I should chime in here, but I am reluctant to do so. I don't particularly want to be accused of bragging that "mine is bigger than yours." Nevertheless, many of the issues I am facing in building my camera are the same as those discussed in this thread.

Last month, I pulled into my father-in-laws driveway and he had a midsize box truck sitting in front of his garage. I turned to my wife and said, "What a great looking camera." She didn't even flinch. After 29 yeas if marriage, she has learned to humor my eccentricities. Long story short, I bought the truck and am now constructing a truck size view camera. The box is approximately 80 inches wide, 82 inches high and 14 feet deep.

I just finished building the rear standard/film holder. The design is pretty simply. I started with an artist's easel. It is on wheels and can be tilted forward and backwards. I mounted a universal TV mount to the easel which also rotates 360 degrees--so I can rotate from landscape to portrait orientation and level the film if parked on a slope. I built a wooden frame and glued a 50" by 66" sheet of metal to the frame. I use magnets to attach the film/paper to the metal.

I can move the easel forward and backward for rear focus. It tilts forward and backward. The easel gives me rise and fall. I can also move it side to side (shift) and swing it side to side (swing). So, I have all the rear movements of a view camera covered.

I have been testing the back in my studio. I put a 2300 lens from Surplus Shed in a window surrounded by cardboard and the lens gives enough coverage at infinity to cover the final image size of 50x62 1/2 (same aspect ratio as 8x10).

I am now working on the lens stage. I am using the back of an old Burke and James 8x10 camera as my lens holder. It has limited rise/fall, swings, tilts and shifts. I plan to be able to raise the entire front standard for additional rise and fall. I can also crank the lens assembly forward and backward for fine focusing. This part is still under construction. I have detailed plans, but the plans are only good until I start building.

I am experimenting with different films and papers for the truck camera. I ordered sample sizes of ortho film (comes in 24" rolls), ultrafine graphic arts films (comes in rolls 48 inches wide), Ilfochorme and Harman Direct Positive Paper (comes in 50" rolls).

I am also experimenting with different lenses. I have a 1000 mm Rodenstock Apo-Ronar-CL. I'd like to find a supplementary lens to add to this to make it a 2000 and 3000 mm lens. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I also have many lenses from Surplus Shed to play with, including a 4000mm lens, which works well. I have to study up on lens physics to learn more about combining lens elements to make lenses of various focal lengths.

My biggest hurdle right now is the weather. It is supposed to get down to 0 degrees f this weekend. I can continue to experiment in my studio and darkroom through the winter. I would like to have the truck camera up and running by next March 26--my 53rd birthday.

Any advice is appreciated.

AF-ULF, you should seek immediate medical/mental attention. There are a number of medical doctors/professionals on this forum that might render assistance.

Your lovely wife is a saint - please be kind to her.

You are a complete but loveable "man" nut - BUT please keep us updated. I would LOVE, LOVE to see images of your creation.

Life can be fun and you are at the top.

Best Regards,

Robert

hacker extraordinaire

What is a "Surplus Shed 2300 lens?"
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Actually, the lens is listed as having a 2600 mm focal length. But, I have found it closer to 2300 mm from tests in my studio.

Go to Surplus Shed on the web. In the upper left corner, click on the tab "Lens Finder."

A window will open. I put in for a search of lenses from 1000 mm to 10000 mm and a list of all the long lenses Surplus Shed has will show up for you to search.

The cost is $25 USD.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Oh boy!!! Bigger is going to be better! Please let us know how you do. Are you going to back pack with that beauty? Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is great that you can shoot from the road. Literally.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Yes, the Walnut stock is finally about gone and a 3 bedroom apartment would be nice. Then again a 14x36 Walnut Camera would be a one of a kind!! Believe it or not the last Walnut tripod with the Gitzo 1570M head would probably handle the beast!

Jim
    Jim,

Go for it. How many 14X36" holders will you be needing?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Jim,

Go for it. How many 14X36" holders will you be needing?

Sandy
    Sandy I'm thinking 2 walnut holders should do it! What the hell... you only live once!

I know one thing for sure and that is if I was going to get holders I'd by yours. The holders are great! Thanks.

Jim

Hello. I have just finished building a field camera that takes 14x36 x-ray film. Very surprised I just came across this forum. You can see my blog here: http://darrensgreatbigcamera.com/. It's very exiting to see that other folks are doing the same thing.

On the one hand, more equipment-driven photography.

On the other, why not?

Love it! I was looking at the images of the camera, thinking I thought he said 14x36 -- it does not look that big...until you showed up to give a sense of the scale of the beast!!

It seems a little much to call something that weights 75+ lbs a "field" camera...LOL! That 1210mm lens looks to weigh more than my 8x10!

Fantastic project!