Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MFAs?

Re: MFAs?

I feel for you Erie, it can be a huge sacrifice. Fortunately, miraculously, at age 30 I had a full ride-plus teaching assistantships, grants, free housing and a wife working-money was not a big problem for us. In Canada, at least in those days, money and support was readily available for graduate students. I was very fortunate and felt very blessed.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 20-Dec-2010 at 22:56.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, in some ways I'm very lucky.

After 3 semesters at a local community college where my fellow students were, shall we say "educationally challenged", and a 4.0 GPA, I looked at where I would like to attend school if costs weren't an issue. I narrowed it down to a private fine arts college 45 mins. away that has a reputation for being rather exclusive in regards to admissions and is not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. I scheduled a portfolio review at in late July to objectively assess what my strengths and weaknesses were to better prepare myself for that school.

After a 2 1/2 hour portfolio review, essentially I was told they wanted me there, and would do whatever was needed to make it happen. I ended up with around 30K/ year in scholarship/grant money and it's basically a free ride. My only expenses (and student loans ) are for living expenses. My wife has just started in a new career and there's an awful lot of months we just squeak by, but I'm determined to keep my 4.0 GPA and school is my full time job.

I'm in my sophmore year, and I'm getting feelers out to grad programs already, via faculty supporters and there's been quite a bit of interest from several schools, all of whom offer fully funded and/or stipended grad programs, for the right student. (and who feel I would fit right into said programs) So it's not all bad, other than living on less than poverty level income levels and slowly going through my stash of film and chemistry. (thank God for hoarding...)

Kirk,
    Readers of this thread may enjoy Alain Briot's discussion called "Rethinking Talent" at LuLa:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...g_talent.shtml
    Alain comments extensively on his experience at Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris.

My MA is in the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology from the University of Toronto. While it had nothing directly to do with photography, except I read extensively in the history of photography and related optical topics while getting the degree, it equipped me with a solid set of critical thinking, research, analysis and writing skills that continue to serve me well. The degree added credibility to my resume and has certainly helped me to be "in play" for every job I subsequently sought.

Was it a lot of work - yes - brutal, particularly since I did the 2 year full time MA in only three years while working full time. (I had a very understanding employer.) Was it worth it. You bet!
    Bill Peters

I've been out of school 7 years and keep thinking I want to go back, but it's becoming less clear for what. My undergrad is in commercial photography and I'd like to go back for photography, but I could also go back for cinematography, industrial design, or even architecture, so that needs clarification before I can take grad school seriously. I'm in no rush, however.

I recieved my BA in 1972, specialized in commercial art as well as graphic arts. The only job available to me back then was working for a giant printing firm in the layout dept. That didn't last, and I found myself working as a route photog for Olan Mills Inc., doing portrait work. I enjoyed travelling, but got burned out on people.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian