Thread: Help with a Pentax Spotmeter & battery

Help with a Pentax Spotmeter & battery

I've got myself an old Pentax spotmeter - possibly an original, I know it's from before the III. It's one of the ones with the 9v + another battery.

Now for my confusion: everything says it's an old mercury button cell. Before I go out and buy a Cris adapter or some hearing aid batteries, I've got to make sure. The compartment seems WAY too deep for a button cell - it's over 1/2" deep, covers up the 'n' in Energizer on a AA battery (attached picture)!

Octogenarian

Re: Help with a Pentax Spotmeter & battery

It takes multiple mercury cells that are no longer available. They are stacked in the battery chamber. That's why it appears to be deep.

See if you can obtain a copy of the instruction booklet. Perhaps there is an adapter available so that alkaline or silver batteries can be substituted.

Scorpio, If your meter is anything like my "Spot V" meter, I believe it takes a stack of three (3) button cell batteries, Check out the manual at the Butkus Orphan Camera Site

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes...potmeter_v.pdf

Your meter was last made 30 years ago. It take a 9 volt and mercury batteries no longer available.

More then likely the photo cell is very red sensitive this happens to the cells used in this meter.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

This is the battery that fits, I assume you can get them in the US. It would be pretty easy to get some posted if not.

http://www.lbslondon.co.uk/batteries...a-alkaline.htm

I have the same meter, still very accurate despite its age.

Gari

I had a meter like that once but gray. On mine, as I recall, the battery compartment opened and you took out a small assembly that held three lr44 batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by gari beet View Post
    This is the battery that fits, I assume you can get them in the US. It would be pretty easy to get some posted if not.

http://www.lbslondon.co.uk/batteries...a-alkaline.htm

I have the same meter, still very accurate despite its age.

Gari
    That's it! I don't know if I'll be able to find it locally, but I found some mail order options.

That's what confused me, the 640 battery is over 11mm deep.

I also found that it's an original Ashai Pentax/Honeywell Spotmeter 1/21, at least 2 generations behind the III

Just an update: it does not take the 640. I found one locally, and it still didn't work. The 1/21 manual says a 640.

I was looking on KEH at the meters they had, and they listed the Pentax 1/21 to use 2 x 625 . Found a couple of those the same place that had the 640, and lo and behold, it works! I haven't taken the time to see if it's accurate yet, but to find that it is mechanically intact made me happy after spending a week or two looking at what 80s/early 90s vintage spot meters are still selling for.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Scorpio, If your meter is anything like my "Spot V" meter, I believe it takes a stack of three (3) button cell batteries, Check out the manual at the Butkus Orphan Camera Site

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes...potmeter_v.pdf
    Thank you for posting this link. I downloaded a manual from Pentax and it was a terrible reproduction. The OP was timely in posting his question, this weekend I swapped out my batteries and I thought something was wrong because it took a while after putting in three new LR-44s for it to start functioning.