Page 378 of 406 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 4060

Thread: Nude

Re: Nude

*deleted*
    Last edited by paulbarden; 29-May-2019 at 15:34. Reason: this is why we can't have nice things

Reviews of the book give credit to the authors for good work, but some point out some biases, inconsistancies and limitations to their arguments (and the critics' own biases must be taken into account). The book is a best-seller and has been nominated for awards...but should not be judged by its cover (title) which accounts partly for its popular success.

Women have been and are being discriminated against in our society, though there are those who probably disagree. I would like to be considered an ally to the women movement and as an ally and out of respect, I no longer make nude images of women. A personal choice..and while I state my opinion of why I do not, I do not condemn those males that make them, but I will not praise them either.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I took its introduction "here's a contemporary example of some fine art nude photography" as a fairly conspicuous warning ;-)

It seems to me that in spite of dire warnings about the outcome, this has led to some interesting, thoughtful discussion after all. See? We CAN be adults about this after all!
    I'm sorry, but people are already mounting their soapboxes.

Peter's opening remark...

Long experience shows that these types of discussions in this type of forum won't go anywhere good. There are many better venues for this type of discussion. If you don't like the pictures here, change the channel.

...was exactly right.

By all means debate these important issues - somewhere outside of the Forum. Any further discussion here along these lines will be deleted.

Will do, Oren.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Moderator's note: WARNING - the linked page presents explicit content that is *very* Not Safe for Work and would not be allowed on the Forum itself. Out of consideration for fellow Forum members and for Forum guests, if you include such a link you must give a clear warning of what viewers can expect.
    Okay, fair enough – noted...Thanks for not deleting the link
    Last edited by rdenney; 29-May-2019 at 20:06. Reason: Fixed tag

What does photography of nudes, especially in the constrained technique of LF shown here contribute to art? To me the answer is Nothing. Almost no photographer here has demonstrated a new or enlightening idea or view. They may as well be photographing table-top fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    What does photography of nudes, especially in the constrained technique of LF shown here contribute to art? To me the answer is Nothing. Almost no photographer here has demonstrated a new or enlightening idea or view. They may as well be photographing table-top fruits.
    Yes. A lot of what is posted here is not nudes, but photographs of naked women.

Wars have been fought over the definition of art. All of us bring a different definition. I would suggest that we hold to our own definitions in what we post, be sensitive to those who may not be as enlightened as we are, and not try to dance at the edge of forum guidelines, where lowly mods must exercise discretion, usually to the satisfaction of few.

Rick “who converges on the real definition of art only to find it slipping away again” Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Alas, the same can be said of images of rocks and trees, of old buildings and cars, of babies, and of one's travels. If the viewer's first thought upon seeing a photograph is to think, "That's a beautiful girl" or "What a great car", or so forth, then the artist-photographer has failed (at least with that particular viewer) -- however, the non-artist photographer will have succeeded. We have both artists and non-artists here, with varying levels of competence in both. We need to honor both in our posts.

ART is often censored, denied, political, politically incorrect and not recognized as art until time has passed. Perhaps centuries.

Art is primarily defined by others. not the artist even if he fervently believes in her art.

Spoken word stories are art, perhaps derived from bird chatter.

Likewise technology is ever evolving. From a rock weapon to an Atomic bomb.

We are also evolving, as all life does.
    Tin Can