Thread: Greetings from Indiana

photographic visionary

Greetings from Indiana

I'm new to the forum and to large format photography and wanted to introduce myself.

My LF gear consists of a Deardorff 5x7 view camera ("4x5 special," as the plate on the front standard says) and two lenses, a Schneider 210/5.6 Symmar-S and a 120/8 Super Angulon.

I am in the process of putting together a home darkroom and will be making contact prints from my 5x7 B&W negs as I do not have a 5x7 enlarger. I am also interested in making platinum prints from my B&W negs at some point, and I also want to try making some color prints using Ilfochrome paper in my film holders.
    “Compensating for lack of skill with technology is progress toward mediocrity. As technology advances, craftsmanship recedes."
    - David Vestal

Re: Greetings from Indiana

Welcome to group therapy! You're starting out with some good equipment...so much for excuses!!

I used to have a bunch of relatives in Indianapolis and the Crawfordsville area, but I think they've just about died out now. Pretty country, though.

Re: Greetings from Indiana

Welcome! LF is alive and well in Indiana. When you get a chance, check out the Midwest Large Format Asylum: http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/ We get together on a regular basis for photography, tall tales, food and drink and the occasional group show. Organized outings are normally on the third Saturday of the month; I believe this month folks are returning to a run-down area of Gary to photograph an abandoned church or factory or something. We usually get to Turkey Run State Park annually, and have had outings in other parts of the state as well. I'm in Elkhart, on the northern border with Michigan. We have members from all over the Midwest, including Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Italy, Scandanavia, etc. The group is organized pretty loosely; no officers, no dues, no responsibility to attend anything anywhere, just the opportunity to hang out with folks who use large format cameras and like photographs. Our annual print exhibit is in January, at the Best Western in Chesterton, IN (near the Dunes,) and is a great opportunity to meet people and see some great prints. Join us!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.