Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What film holders can I use with a Graflex 4x5 Super D?

What film holders can I use with a Graflex 4x5 Super D?

I just purchased a Graflex RB Super D 4x5 in great condition, and I'm wondering if someone could tell me what my options are for film holders. I searched the forums but can't seem to find any info about this.

The model I purchased came with an old Graflex Pack Film holder attached to the revolving back. I've been told this camera has a Graflex back (NOT Graflok).

I'd like to test the camera and wondering what kind of 4x5 film holders I can use. I see what are listed as "vintage type 5" 4x5 holders on eBay, but the sellers don't know if they'll work with the Super D.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Fran

Some people are bullfighters, CCB's Avatar

Re: What film holders can I use with a Graflex 4x5 Super D?

You have the Graflex back on your camera, and will need to use Graflex film holders with it. They have a groove down the side and are easily distinguishable from the more common International style film holders.

Your very best choice is to find a "Bag-Mag", which is a Graflex magazine which will hold 12 sheets of film.
    Check at www.Graflex.org for everything you need to know about old Graflexes.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The holders you need are often referred to as "Graflex slotted holders". Note that Graflex brand by itself is not enough, since Graflex also offered ordinary 4x5 holders that won't fit.

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to fit a Graflok back to one of those Graflex SLRs? I know it's fairly straightforward on a Speed/Crown Graphic, but not sure how the mirror and such might affect things.

For the Graflex back, bag-mags are going to be the easiest sure bet. It will be difficult to find regular Graflex-back double-sided holders on eBay, since many sellers aren't knowledgeable about such things. (Graflex certainly could have made it less confusing themselves though.) I bought a Crown Graphic with a Graflex back and wound up selling it; in hindsight now that I'm using mainly Grafmatics on my Speed Graphic, maybe it would have been smarter to go with the cheaper 12-shot bag mags a Graflex back affords.

Ok, here's a few links to pages that I wrote about Grafmatics and Bag Mags etc. It should illustrate the differences between a Graflex accessory and a Graflok accessory.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paul.../grafmatic.htm
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paul...ces/bagmag.htm

The quick answer is that the film holders for a Graflex back will have a slot as the light trap while regular film holders will have a ridge.

Wow. Thanks to everyone for the replies. I never expected so much help so quickly!

Now, does anyone know who I might contact to get some of the "slotted" 4x5 Graflex holders? I see all many Graflex holders listed on ebay, but none of the sellers ever seems to show enough detail (side views) to see if they are slotted. I'm just thinking there might be a reputable vintage dealer out there who may have these in stock.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are amazing.

-Fran

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to fit a Graflok back to one of those Graflex SLRs? I know it's fairly straightforward on a Speed/Crown Graphic, but not sure how the mirror and such might affect things.
    Fitting the back is just a matter of a few wood screws to switch from a Graflex back. The problem is that there is a different back focus distance to the ground glass. The focusing screen must be moved and that's a bitch (mine went back to Lens and Repro three times before they got it right).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Fitting the back is just a matter of a few wood screws to switch from a Graflex back. The problem is that there is a different back focus distance to the ground glass. The focusing screen must be moved and that's a bitch (mine went back to Lens and Repro three times before they got it right).
    Do you know if it needs to be shimmed (moved higher), or do you have to grind away part of the body to get it lower?

Interesting thread.
    I just got a few 4x5 film holders today and 2 do not fit my camera. :-(
    They are made of wood and are wider than the standard 4x5 film holders and have a slot running down the sides of the back. Sounds like I have the back you guys are talking about.

Gary