Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about my Century Grand Studio

Some questions about my Century Grand Studio

First, Hello and glad I found this forum! I have read and searched but feel I would appreciate some feedback.

My Father passed and I inherited this ole beast.

When I was young (about 40 years ago) I remember actually taking a picture with this guy. Since then, the Bellows really took a hit from it being displayed in a basement and I want to replace them.

The seem had came undone and the inside felt had unglued along with the stiffeners.
    Thankfully the fabric was intact enough to have a perfect pattern to recreate the bellows perfectly. I have found a neat article on making new ones and it seems simple enough if not monotonous. The problem is no one addresses the type of fabric to use. While I would like to stay original, I think burgandy bellows would look rather appealing which brings me to my next question. Keep it original, or not. I have researched and these appear to have little value as antiques ($300-$700 seems rather low to me) and in the "spirit" of the ole man Im considering a total resto including wood and brass. Heres why

While the patina on the lenses is cool and adds to what little value the lens have, I have seen restored cameras that look absolutely amazing! Same with the wood finish.

1. What outer and inner fabrics do you use on Bellows
    2. Thoughts on pluses and minuses of restoring to new appearance of bellows
    3. Would love to leave camera original, need a shutter, can these be made? No luck finding one yet.

Thank you, Mark

Re: Some questions about my Century Grand Studio

I also have alot of accesories minus the shutter but they all appear sticky, is there a way to loosen these back to working smoothly

Hi Mark--welcome to the forum! You have a beautiful old Century Studio camera. It looks like it dates between 1900 (the founding of Century camera) and 1907 (when Eastman bought the company). The finish doesn't look too bad. I see some crazing, which isn't unusual for a finish of that age, but my inclination would be to do a light cleaning rather than a full strip and refinish of the camera. I'd have a professional bellows made for such a nice camera (from Custom Bellows UK or Turner bellows, and in the original black).

You also have some beautiful Voightlander & Sohn Euryscop lenses (the two lenses in front) and a nice portrait (Petzval) lens in back. Does the big portrait lens also have the Voightlander engraving? The lenses are easily worth several times the value of the camera, and they're in marvelous condition. I'm wondering about the brass hood (?) next to the portrait lens--haven't seen one of those before. The glass lens elements should be gently cleaned with a good lens cleaning fluid and soft clean lens tissues.

You can buy some Packard shutters for your lenses. There are simple pneumatic shutters that cam be mounted to the back of the lens boards. It looks like you have a box of lens boards and camera backs. All in all, a beautiful setup!

It's nice to see a complete studio kit. I agree with Barry, I think the finish on this one is fine. They typically become crazed like you see. It looks authentic, and 50 years from now people may approve that you didn't refinish it (but like you say, today they aren't that concerned). I would just clean and put a coat of oil back on it, it will look great.

The lenses all look pretty good. I would try to stop the green verdigris on that one. If they are missing their original lacquer, as they appear, it won't hurt to hand polish them back to bright (like we do for sterling silver). But don't use strong abrasives, just use brasso or neverdull and elbow grease. I've seen people use emery cloth-don't. Be careful not to polish the black parts near the flange.

By the way, if it's another Voigtlander, what is the serial number and smaller number (near the hood) on that large one? They had some really nice Petzval portrait lenses, but it's a little difficult determining which one you have, but I suspect it is a Petzval.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Hi Mark--welcome to the forum! You have a beautiful old Century Studio camera. It looks like it dates between 1900 (the founding of Century camera) and 1907 (when Eastman bought the company). The finish doesn't look too bad. I see some crazing, which isn't unusual for a finish of that age, but my inclination would be to do a light cleaning rather than a full strip and refinish of the camera. I'd have a professional bellows made for such a nice camera (from Custom Bellows UK or Turner bellows, and in the original black).

You also have some beautiful Voightlander & Sohn Euryscop lenses (the two lenses in front) and a nice portrait (Petzval) lens in back. Does the big portrait lens also have the Voightlander engraving? The lenses are easily worth several times the value of the camera, and they're in marvelous condition. I'm wondering about the brass hood (?) next to the portrait lens--haven't seen one of those before. The glass lens elements should be gently cleaned with a good lens cleaning fluid and soft clean lens tissues.

You can buy some Packard shutters for your lenses. There are simple pneumatic shutters that cam be mounted to the back of the lens boards. It looks like you have a box of lens boards and camera backs. All in all, a beautiful setup!
    I found a bellow maker in Califonia, he wants $250 and I adhere the bellows to the frame, my problem is, Im adventurous!
    The other lens is a

Oh well, it's just a Darlot. They're still good lenses though.

Yeah, go for making your own bellows. I'm about to try that on a smaller camera too. Look in this forum for "DIY bellows", there's a guy that makes kits. He's not going to be back selling them until the new year however...

If you don't want to completely strip and restore the wood finish, find a quart of Daly's Profin satin oil finish. Clean the old finish first to get the dirt off, then rub the Daly's on with a soft rag. It will fill the crazing and impart a soft glow without all the hassle of a total stripdown. I wouldn't do more than buff the old brass a little. There's a patina there that only comes with age.

What a beautiful set. I'm glad you're bringing it back to life!

Peter Gomena

Huge thanks for posting the pictures. I have a century like that and hadn't found any photos of others similar with the round pivot hardware on the rear standard.

I refinished mine because it had three coats of paint over the original finish and the paint was pretty homely. I left the dings and gouges in place though. Looking at yours, I'd probably keep the camera original but might redo the lensboards as they are easy to do and likely not original. Mine's not together yet of course - refinishing is a lot more work than you might expect and I've been busy with a honey-do list.

49 images here:

http://www.f64.nu/gallery2007/view_a...lbum212&page=1

The cameras don't sell for a ton of money because they are tough to ship. I don't know much about your lenses, but they are certainly more valuable than the camera. (prices still works that way with new cameras and good lenses).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    If you don't want to completely strip and restore the wood finish, find a quart of Daly's Profin satin oil finish. Clean the old finish first to get the dirt off, then rub the Daly's on with a soft rag. It will fill the crazing and impart a soft glow without all the hassle of a total stripdown. I wouldn't do more than buff the old brass a little. There's a patina there that only comes with age.

What a beautiful set. I'm glad you're bringing it back to life!

Peter Gomena
    Will try! The resto wouldnt be terribly tough but I would hate to decrease the value which appears to be very little anyways ( other than sentimental)

I called Packard Shutters and was a little suprised at a $650 quote....Yeotch!
    I know this camera had a shutter and it bugs me that I couldnt find it with the rest of the goodies. I may give my Mom a mission in digging harder. I wonder if anyone has made their own shutters?