Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Master View Questions

Kodak Master View Questions

Hi guys,

On the inside of the camera back, where the film holder slides, there should be a strip of felt. My Master View lacks that. Is that felt there just for helping the film holder slide more easily and to avoid scratching it? Or is it a light seal?
    There are two grooves on the long sides of the back. I suppose that's where the felt should be, and nowhere else. Right?

Secondly, I have a problem with the sliding tab that holds the lensboard in place. It should be attached to the front standard by means of two small screws. But those screws go freely all the way through the hole. It's like the thread on the inside of the holes was stripped.
    The bellows frame is plastic. It seems like a self-tapping screw could be driven through it. I was thinking of using self-tapping screws, a bit longer than the originals, and screwing them into the bellows frame. Does this sound like a good idea?
    Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Re: Kodak Master View Questions

Nope. I was wrong. The bellows frame is not plastic. It's metal. So the self-tapping screw idea is out.
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

What you can do is have the holes re-tapped for a larger screw size, or else use a thread repair kit (link, link).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What you can do is have the holes re-tapped for a larger screw size, or else use a thread repair kit (link, link).
    That is exactly what I did on my 8x10 master view. Worked great. I have copies of the original manual and parts list (great for determining screw sizes). They are not in digital form but if you want them I can copy them and mail them to you.

The felt is part of a light trap. I replaced mine as they were loose at the ends. Greg Davis used to sell them along with some other Master View parts. He posts here.

Henry

Yes - cut new threads. You might want to go over to a standard M metric size which are more available in Bucharest.
    You might consider quality velvet ribboning as a replacement light trap.

Thank you. I'll try to cut new threads.
    I've removed the ground glass frame and took a better look underneath. There are grooves along all four sides of the opening, not just the long ones. One piece of felt is still there and looks like new, so I can use that as a model.

I've discovered another problem, albeit less important. One of the pins that hold the camera closed is broken. I can live with that, since it doesn't affect the camera's functionality in any way. But still, it would be nice if I could do anything about it.

You can replace that broken pin with a small screw. My masterview came with that fix already in place. Great camera, BTW!
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Update:
    I've cut new, metric threads, and installed new screws. I did the same with the second metal strip, too (the one on the lower side of the opening), because two screws were missing, and the other two were a bit loose and wouldn't tighten enough. The new screws are a little thicker and stronger. They will probably outlive the rest of the camera.
    I've removed the broken pin, cut a new thread, and installed a screw. It works perfectly.

Should I lubricate moving parts, like the focusing rack and pinion, sliding bed, etc.?

Thanks.

[Should I lubricate moving parts, like the focusing rack and pinion, sliding bed, etc.?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
    If you do, be very sparing on any parts which rely on friction to hold them in place. Best just to clean them well. If lubing, try the liquid wax lubricant sold at bicycle shops.

Update:
    Last year I wanted to replace the light seals in a 35mm camera and bought a camera sealing kit from eBay. The seller was very helpful at the time and seemed very enthusiastic about his work, so I figured I could send him pictures of the Master View and ask for his help.
    It turns out he knows what I need and can supply the right materials. It's going to be a sandwich of thin foam and fabric, which I'm sure will work at least as well as the original, if not better.
    If you need to reseal a camera, you can find him on eBay under the name of interslice. He sells all kinds of seal kits, either generic or pre-cut for specific cameras. Very helpful guy, a pleasure to deal with.
    I'll let you know how this works after I receive the stuff, probably in a couple of weeks.