Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copal vs Compur

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Copal vs Compur

There's a *lens on the German eBay site that seems VERY low in price (a 300 Apo Symmar L) and that makes me a bit **wary. It comes in a Compur shutter. Is this shutter still commonly available in Europe (obviously it's available! )?. Would it be more common than the Copal? How does it compare in performance/reliability to the Copal? Thank you!

* http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

**also the seller's 1% negative feedbag
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Copal vs Compur

All mechanical and electronic shutters manufactured by Prontor Werke, including all Compur shutters, have been out of production for many years. They still do supply a Prontor magnetic as an OEM item to some manufacturers who have to make a controller to operate it.

That lens is in the last version of the Compur shutter however.

Geezum don't be silly, the Compurs are THE highest quality shutter.

Not that Copals aren't good, but the Compur is nicer product. Sometimes lenses are cheap on German eBay, I've always had good luck there.

As for service and parts, so what? The thing is going to last lifetime and if it doesn't, it is worth the money to fix. You just don't send it to some local yokel butterknife elcheapo camera repair jockey.

Hey Frank, don't beat around the bush - say what you feel!
    Thanks for the information!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

A couple of repair men I chatted with in the UK were of the opinion that Compurs were better made than Copal shutters. My current mechanic has no difficulty servicing these shutters. He recently service a 40 year old shutter for me and did an excellent job. I have two lenses (120mm Dagor and 240mm Apo Ronar) that are in old Compur Synchro shutters and they work fine. The only thing about them is that their speeds are the old standard (1/5,1/10,1/20 etc) but I can make allowances. I also have a compur electronic shutter that runs from 1/500 to 32 seconds. Opinion on these is divided. When their good they work fine but can be unreliable. That, combined with the fact that they use a rather obscure 4.5v Mallory battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    There's a *lens on the German eBay site that seems VERY low in price (a 300 Apo Symmar L) and that makes me a bit **wary. It comes in a Compur shutter. Is this shutter still commonly available in Europe (obviously it's available! )?. Would it be more common than the Copal? How does it compare in performance/reliability to the Copal? Thank you!

* http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

**also the seller's 1% negative feedbag
    I bought different Sinar items and lenses from this seller (total of 3000 Euro), everything shipped as expected. Compur shutters are ok. But I think the price is too high. As far as I know this is the company website: http://www.secondhandcamera.de and the sell on ebay under secondhandcamera and fotouniversal. On their website they have also these 300 mm lenses:
    http://www.secondhandcamera.de/produ...6ua4mva7a7ene5
    and
    http://www.secondhandcamera.de/produ...6ua4mva7a7ene5

I bought my Sinaron S 300 in Sinar DB mount for 249 Euro at secondhandcamera.

Hope this helps.
    Best,
    Johannes

Thanks everybody! Any idea when Schneider stopped offering Compur shutters?

Mid 90s I think, I forgot when the L lenses came out but it maybe something like when someone remounted a Sinar DB lens.

Funny though, first Compur came out with the black dial and, of course, Copal copied them....

Copals work great, but it's nicer to get the original, Compur really made the first modern mechanical shutters, innovated and invented.... Same reason that buying a Phillips is better than a Chamonix, not that the Chamonix is any slouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Thanks everybody! Any idea when Schneider stopped offering Compur shutters?
    Everyone stopped offering them when Prontor stopped making them. Not just Schneider.

Hmm. I thought Wollensak, or Ilex, invented the 'modern' leaf shutter in the early 20th century, and Prontor/Compur licensed the design and perfected it. But if so, it was long before my time... and I have no reference to back that statement up. However, based on much personal experience, I'll say this: if your Compur or Copal is in good shape, ain't no difference 'tween the two. They're both excellent shutters.
    And a data point- on my recommendation, my then employers bought a Schneider 150/9 G-Claron in 1988; it came in a Compur shutter. That shutter was still working just fine the last time I used it, six months or so ago.