Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Copal vs Compur

Re: Copal vs Compur

Phil, can you tell me when the price list is from? I'm trying to figure out if that 300 (ca. 2001) could have been offered in the Compur or whether it was refitted...thanks
    The retailers price list I have is from 2001-2. It is unclear whether the Compur shutters were actually available at this time, or whether the price list was simply copied over from an older one. Compur 3 is £80 more than Copal 3. The Apo-Symmar listed is not an L version. This is not a Schneider publication, just a retail price list from a UK distributor.

FWIW, Ilex invented the "clockwork" shutter ca:1912. They immediatly licensed Frederick Dectal (sp?) to produce the design in Europe. It became known as the compur. The escapement timing of exposure was the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jan labij View Post
    FWIW, Ilex invented the "clockwork" shutter ca:1912. They immediatly licensed Frederick Dectal (sp?) to produce the design in Europe. It became known as the compur. The escapement timing of exposure was the big deal.
    Sorry, but that was the Linhof shutter and it was made prior to 1912. See my earlier post.
    You might want to read about one of Linhof's early shutters here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cnk...hutter&f=false

Scroll up from the price list to see the shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Does 10-blades form a pretty good circle? I know 7-blades don't on my Nikkor SLR lenses....
    Frank,

It's not bad. Definitely more circlular than a 7-blade diaphragm, but not quite the nearly perfect circle of the 16 - 21-blade aperture diaphragms on some of my older barrel mounted lenses.

Kerry

The Linhof shutters I have control the speed by a "Lederbremse" (leather brake).

renes

All Compur shutters I have (most pre II war) have 10 blades, even small one with Heliar 83mm f/4.5. They work perfect. After CLA

What Ilex patented was the variable clockwork escapement to control exposure timing. I doubt that deckel would have liscensed an appartus made 20 years earlier. I looked at the linhof site as recommended, and they say they are using a leather brake to control time of exposure.

BTW, I don't have a dog in this fight. I prefer air controlled time of exposure over everything else I've used. But I should say also that I'm on the more pecunious (cheapskate?) side of the bucks-o-matic LF wars. When I bought a couple of air-braked shutters a few years ago, I was amazed at how easy they were to get functioning again. A good cleaning and waxing of the piston, and eureka!