Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for Crown Graphic ground glass

Source for Crown Graphic ground glass

I picked up a Crown to keep me busy while my Wisner is being repaired by Richard. In my zeal to inspect the lens, shutter, movements and bellows, I only minimally scrutinized the ground glass. Having shot with the camera this afternoon, I'm pretty sure it's really a piece of plexiglass that someone shoved under the retaining mechanism. Camera otherwise seems to work and although I have a seven day return agreement with the seller, I think I'd like to replace the GG.

I looked over at Graflex.org and didn't see much info on sources for GG, just one forum post suggesting an Ebay hunt for Ektalite field screen. Does that sound correct? Is there any mystery to replacing it other than removing the retaining clip and slipping the new piece in?

What should I expect to pay?

Thank you.

Apo-Heespharm-N MC

Re: Source for Crown Graphic ground glass

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051...TQ%3AUS%3A1123

I bought three panes from this guy ... Couldn't be happier... Only 16 bucks..

Either get a screen from Steve Hopf, Brillian Glass, or make your own. I've done both and then added a fresnel.

Beware the Gralflex's with an Ektalite fresnel use the fresnel on the lens side of the glass screen and so have a different register (for focus) compared to the non Ektalite models.

It's the Ektalite screen or other fresnel that really makes a huge difference to screen brightness and ease of focusing.

Ian

Surplus Shed has Eastman Kodak ground glass. The 8x10 is $12.00 & the 4x5 is $3.00 (or 10 for $25.00). I bought 1 of each & shipping was only $5.00. I don't think you can do any better than Eastman Kodak glass.

Links >>>

8x10 >>> http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3965.html

4x5 >>> http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l1034.html

>>> Jim

Jbog and Heespharm,

Will these panes just drop into the back of the camera or will I have to trim-to-fit?

Both the Kodak and the Ebay options seem like good options. Is there anything I'm missing here before I commit to one or the other?

Thanks again. I'm feeling better about my purchase now that I know I can replace that glass!

Apo-Heespharm-N MC

the one i bought just drops right in

I don't suppose anyone has the dimensions of a crown back? I'm trying to order from Steve and he'd like me confirm dimensions but I don't have the camera nearby.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
    I don't suppose anyone has the dimensions of a crown back? I'm trying to order from Steve and he'd like me confirm dimensions but I don't have the camera nearby.

Bob
    When I bought one from him he had the dimensions, I just ordered a screen for a Crown Graphic.

Ian

Folks are always quick to point out a cheap GG source but Crowns are different than many cameras in how the fresnel is mounted. I'd STRONGLY suggest measuring the depth of the present GG to see if this back did originally have the Ektalite before installing just a GG without the Ektalite/GG sandwich. (Speeds did come with plain GGs, but I'm not sure if Crowns ever came w/o Ektalites?) It's a very common problem that comes up every few months here, i.e. someone having focus problems because of the registration differences arising from the Graflex-installed fresnel position and a plain GG replacement.

If the depth from the gate to the groundglass is close to .179", you're good to go with a plain GG. (If not, you'll need to shim it out to this spec to use it with a plain GG.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    Crowns are different than many cameras in how the fresnel is mounted. I'd STRONGLY suggest measuring the depth of the present GG to see if this back did originally have the Ektalite. It's a very common problem that comes up every few months here, i.e. someone having focus problems because of the registration differences arising from the Graflex-installed fresnel placement and a plain GG.

If the depth from the gate to the groundglass is close to .179", you're good to go with a plain GG. (If not, you'll need to shim it out to this spec.)
    The present GG appears to be a piece of plexiglass so I don't think measuring it will suffice. Where on the camera should I measure? Please be as specific as possible.

Thanks