Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: generic Technika board not tight on Master Technika

generic Technika board not tight on Master Technika

I have a Master Technika and bought a new generic (Shen Hao version) copal 0 board for it after the Toyo version of the Technika board was too tight and then too loose after being filed down. Now it seems the new one is too loose. There is slop and I want none. Can anyone recommend the exact board for the Master Technika. Thanks in advance people.

Re: generic Technika board not tight on Master Technika

Try a technika board. Or put a bit of tape around the edges of the one you have.

Thanks Jack. Those certainly are two options. Which Technika board in particular? Has anyone had any better luck with one generic than another? I feel like I've read that older Technika boards don't quite fit newer Technika models as well. There is a brand that Richard Phillips sold to me with my Explorer that fit nicely, but I can't tell which they are and I only have those in copal 1 and 3.

Jordan

Several years ago Linhof put in new CNC milling machines and greatly tightened up the tolerances for the lens boards on their cameras. The tolerances became so tight that you might have to scrape a layer or two of paint off the edges of older boards to make them fit properly on a modern Linhof.

As to which board you need it depends on what lens you have and what shutter it is in and if you do or do not want a cable release quick coupling on the board if it is flat and for a 0 or 1 shutter.

Don't buy a generic, buy a Technika board. There are ridges on it which I have never seen on a generic or Toyo.

Will an official Wista technika board be almost as good as a Linhof? Sorry to bring up an old thread, but instead of starting a new one, I decided to add. I need an extra copal 0 lensboard for a master technika still.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Will an official Wista technika board be almost as good as a Linhof? Sorry to bring up an old thread, but instead of starting a new one, I decided to add. I need an extra copal 0 lensboard for a master technika still.
    No it won't.

Jeez man up and buy a used OEM board! If you're patient you can find decent flat ones in the $35 range. They really are better made.

When I bought my Technikardan 45S, it came with three original Linhof boards. That was enough for all buy one of my lenses. I tried one of my Wista original boards (a recent one that I bought new). It fits, but barely. It's very tight and I stopped using it since I don't want to cause extra wear to the camera.

The Linhof boards are expensive, but in my opinion, it's foolish to save a few bucks on a lensboard that doesn't fit properly.

Are you talking about so much "slop" that the generic board is in danger of falling out or leaking light? If so get Technika boards. They're ridiculously overpriced but I mostly used them and never had any that didn't fit perfectly. OTOH, if it's just a very minor amount of "slop" and you don't like the cost of Technika boards I'd just try to get used to it. Although I normally bought Technika boards I also bought used lenses that came with a Horseman board and a Wista board and I bought generics sold by Adorama and Midwest Photo. All of them were perfectly usable though I preferred Linhof boards for the totally irrational reasons that I liked the looks of the Linhof badge and I thought a Linhof camera should have a Linhof board.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.