Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drilling Graphic lens boards on a micro lathe

Drilling Graphic lens boards on a micro lathe

I bought a well-used Micro Lathe a few months ago and it's time for it to earn it's keep. I need to bore holes in some aluminum Graphic lens boards and if my little lathe can't do it--it may be headed to the bottom of the Potomac.

The chuck on the lathe is too small and unsuited to hold the boards, but I was thinking of a making a small wood jig--basically a square wood block that fits snugly within the lip of the lens board, attached to a wood cylinder that will fit into the chuck. Two screws and wood glue would be used to attach the cylinder to the block, and the board would be screwed to the block through a small center pilot hole.

Being that I have no lathe experience, I though I'd get some input before I tear off any of my appendages or put out an eye. Does my plan sound workable? Any better ideas? How about optimal speed and best cutting tool? Thanks.

Barry

Re: Drilling Graphic lens boards on a micro lathe

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I bought a well-used Micro Lathe a few months ago and it's time for it to earn it's keep. I need to bore holes in some aluminum Graphic lens boards and if my little lathe can't do it--it may be headed to the bottom of the Potomac.

The chuck on the lathe is too small and unsuited to hold the boards, but I was thinking of a making a small wood jig--basically a square wood block that fits snugly within the lip of the lens board, attached to a wood cylinder that will fit into the chuck. Two screws and wood glue would be used to attach the cylinder to the block, and the board would be screwed to the block through a small center pilot hole.

Being that I have no lathe experience, I though I'd get some input before I tear off any of my appendages or put out an eye. Does my plan sound workable? Any better ideas? How about optimal speed and best cutting tool? Thanks.

Barry
    I bet you could trade that lathe for a drill press and holesaw. I think that would be the better choice. Personally I use a jig saw and then a spindle sander to finish off the hole.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Barry,
    I also have a mini-lathe but I do not think is the best tool for it.
    Check home depot. They have something called "General Tools Circle Cutter".
    Also you will need a drill.
    If you are interested I could post some pictures.
    And please, keep the lathe for other tasks.
    Regards,Armando

Barry
    I have cut several of these lens boards and always used a hole saw and a drill press.
    The fly cutter can be used for cutting holes to a size not covered by a hole saw, but also has some precautions that come with it. ie: very slow speed and keep your hands away from the moving cross shaft.

Barry,
    I have a Unimat Lathe, that converts to a mill, that would work with a cut-off bit in a fly cutter type holder.
    I didn't have the lathe when I needed to drill a lens board though, so I used the method I describe in the Lens Mounting Service thread in Cameras & Camera Accessories- scribing the hole, drilling small holes around the circumfrence and breaking out the inside and filing it smooth. That worked very well.
    PM me if you need more info.
    Good Luck,
    Dave

I use even a simpler method. I drill a series of holes around the inner edge of the hole, take a small fine file, connect the holes (if not touching themselves), take the inner surplus out and then file the bigger hole with a rounded file. With aluminum I easily get 0.1mm precision. Crude, quick and precise. (Sorry Dave, didn't see you post before writing mine...;-)

Try asking your question at CNCZone. They also have an area where you can solicit work- it's often much cheaper than regular CNC rates from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    I use even a simpler method. I drill a series of holes around the inner edge of the hole, take a small fine file, connect the holes (if not touching themselves), take the inner surplus out and then file the bigger hole with a rounded file. With aluminum I easily get 0.1mm precision. Crude, quick and precise. (Sorry Dave, didn't see you post before writing mine...;-)
    Not a Problem, I'm surprised that more people didn't chime in with this method, in the three current threads about lensboards.
    Dave

Barry:

You can get a lot more out of your camera equipment with some tools, but be aware that GAS attacks are not limited to photography.

The drill press + adjustable hole saw is the fastest/easiest method for drilling lensboards. It takes patience to adjust the cutter. Newbie hint: to avoid an unnecessary adrenaline rush, start at a slow speed; the cutter is not balanced.

If you want to try drilling on the lathe, GAS-up a faceplate and set of clamps from Little Machine Shop. Your spindle is 3/4-16. Same slow speed start warning applies.

PM me if you have machining questions.

Charley

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Barry,
    I also have a mini-lathe but I do not think is the best tool for it.
    Check home depot. They have something called "General Tools Circle Cutter".
    Also you will need a drill.
    If you are interested I could post some pictures.
    And please, keep the lathe for other tasks.
    Regards,Armando
    Here's the cutter and the results:

Attachment 47136

Attachment 47137