Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens maker identification

Re: Lens maker identification

Yes I saw the spacer which looks like a rubber ring. The air spaced doublets I have seen - not that many - have had metal or fiber (projection petzvals) spacers.

The owner may have tried to use the split doublet with a rubber ring to prevent damage beween the two lenses or to cushion the two in place without excess pressure . But, as you say, it could be a back pair taken from a Petzval. When you have a lot of old lenses, as the other listings show he/she did, then you can always find something that has the right diameter.

I have discovered that the seller had another Anthony landscape meniscus listed some weeks ago. This had a lens which looked as it was held in place with pressure ring made for the purpose. Perhaps the same "collector"?

Don't worry! If it is the worst case, you can always find a suitable achromat to fit in. I did the same with a sick Swift landscape meniscus that, in other hands, now performs well.

Yes, this is an Anthony "Dry Plate Lens" sold in the 1880's, early ones with insertable stops, later with wheel stops. Also called "landscape lens" and "single combination." They are finished in polished nickel. Not rare, but scarce and beautiful looking (to me). See here for a nice Anthony Camera and lens example Anthony camera

Dan

PS - page from an 1891 book How to Make Photographs - published by Anthony

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

I have had another look at the photos in the listing.
    It does look like a normal blackened brass spacing ring.
    The photos showing the rear end apparently shows two concentric mountings. This doesn't appear to be logical - a thread holding the lens in the cell should screw in from the inside. These two mounts have slight different end patterns. The third photo indicates that the central cell mount is not quite a perfect fit in the rear. There is different spacing between 2 sides and it is higher on one side as though it was just placed in the rear opening rather than screwed in.

I think the likehood that this is the EA with brass rear cell mount still in place, without the original achromat and with an additional rear Petzval pair cell, has increased.