Thread: 6x6 Deardorff lens board

6x6 Deardorff lens board

When mounting a 3 piece lens board to the camera, does it make any difference as to the orientation of the board? It seems to me that the board may be stronger with the smaller end strips running vertical to the camera, but the board looks better aesthetically, with the smaller strips running horizontal. Joel

6x6 Deardorff lens board

If you look at the board from the edge, you will see a bevel on one edge. This goes on top (easily fits into the top mount.) If you don't see the small bevel, you probably have a second market board...but in any case the small boards on the board usually are vertical.

6x6 Deardorff lens board

Joel, I just took a look at my Deardorff 6x6 lensboards and the small strips all run vertical. I believe my boards are originals. My "usual" lens is a 14" Commercial Ektar in a No.5 Universal and while there are bigger and heavier lenses, my 14" Commercial is, as they say in Maine:"ample" I have never had any reason to be concerned about the strength of the lensboard or the 'dorff handleing it. IMHO,stop worrying and start shooting! Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

6x6 Deardorff lens board

Thanks John, I too am using a 14" Commercial Ektar on my Deardorff. I purchased an after market board for a 10" Wide Field Ektar, (if I can ever find one)! It seems to fit on the camera one way better than another but I didn't want to break some unwritten law on the orientation of a lens board. Joel