Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repair advice needed

Repair advice needed

I'm off to a bad start with my new-to-me Wisner Traditional and need some repair advice. I took it out of it's bubble wrap without noticing that the clips that keep it closed were a tad mis-aligned/bent and as such not fully secure.

I bet you can see where this story is going.....

I grabbed the camera by its carry handle and, in an instant, the entire bed and front standard deployed downward to the ground, sheering the rear standard away from the bed. The back is no longer attached to the bed, as pictured below; the wood basically separated at the joints on both sides of the back.

Is this something that can or should be repaired? And is it worth the likely expense of the repair?

I paid $575 for the camera from a merchant. It's my fault for not recognizing the clips weren't engaged. I get it! I also wonder, however, whether this thing has broken at that location before, based on the ease with which it separated....but I'll never know.

Should I send it off for repair, or should I consider this an omen and ditch the thing altogether? I don't want to spend $300 repairing a $500 camera.

Lastly, has anyone seen a failure like this before?

Thank you

Re: Repair advice needed

bummer. I would try some Titebond II wood glue. It's what my carpenter/contractor uses. According to him, if it separates again, it will be some other place, as the glued parts are bonded even stronger than the solid wood.

Octogenarian

You previously stated that you purchased the camera from Jim, at Midwest.

I would be a good idea to contact Jim and ask him what he suggests.

He stands behind his merchandise.

A good glue job perhaps coupled with some small screw should make the camera usable at a very low cost. If it were mine, I would not hesitate to make such a repair.

Wood glue only, no screws, and be careful not to let the glue drip into other areas. You will need to clamp it somehow. It appears to be just wood separation, and the glue joint, if done well, is more than strong enough, and will only be visible to you. Don't drill holes and use screws, they will only stress the joint on an area this small. Most any good wood glue, such as titebond will be more than strong enough.

My inclination was to send it to someone like Richard Ritter and have it done professionally rather than try a handy-man repair.

Has anyone done a glue repair on their own camera? My concern is that the failure is near an area where the back pivots and that will contribute to re-failure since the glue joint will be under constant stress.

As I sit here looking at the camera, the irony is not lost on me that someone (I think it was Frank) said to look at metal 4x5s when I was starting my shopping. I thought, "bleh metal is so plain compared to wood," but I doubt I would have had this issue with a metal camera!

Wood glue and clamps. This is almost exactly the repair that Richard Ritter makes in our video "Camera Repair in the Field." Easy, and the result is strong and permanent. I agree with not letting the glue slop elsewhere. A damp towel helps mop up excess.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Octogenarian

Is there a reason that you do not want to contact Jim regarding this problem?

Sometimes even when things are well wrapped these breakages happen in transit.

I received a Roll film back recently and the end of the sheath was snapped off, luckily these slide a long way in at the far end so I was able to repair it, although it's now about 5mm shorter. I haven't tested it yet but if there is an issue I have spare 5x5 sheaths and could cut one to fit.

As the item was well packaged I can't blame the seller, and claiming off USPS is a big hassle over something easily remedied, and I guess it's similar in this case.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Is there a reason that you do not want to contact Jim regarding this problem?
    I never said that, Gem. I will contact him.

I'm just trying to get a sense of what my options are in terms of repair.