Thread: Wista DX rear shift doesn't seem to work

Wista DX rear shift doesn't seem to work

I've been playing with the Wista DX I got this week and it's a beautiful camera. I feel fortunate to have gotten it for $350, I've seen them go for $500-$600 on ebay at the very least.

I've been working with the tilts, swings, rise and fall just to get used to the cameras movements. I then looked at the back there's a couple of white zeroing lines and 2 brass levers. I immediately am thinking "wow it has shifting too!" I loosen the levers and I can't seem to make the shift work. One of the levers does seem a bit harder to flip than the other, maybe it's too tight? Unfortunately i can't see anyway to get to the screw to loosen it. Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I missing something?

Big Bend

Re: Wista DX rear shift doesn't seem to work

Are you sure it's not SWING instead of shift on the rear?

the swing is on the sides, there are 2 levers on either side that tightens the swing down (you can kind of see them in the first picture). On the underside of that bottom plate there are 2 slots so I'm assuming that allows the top plates to shift across the bottom one. I could be mistaken, I've seen others talk about the Wista DX having left and right shift on the rear standard. This is my first wista camera so I really have no clue.

I think you might have to swing the back to get at the screws. Swing to the right to get to the left shift lever etc.. I sold my Wista a couple of years ago but am pretty sure this is what you need to do. Possible the previous owner fiddled around with the levers.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Those two brass levers (underside) are fully locked, both need turning towards each other then the shift should work OK.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Those two brass levers (underside) are fully locked, both need turning towards each other then the shift should work OK.

Ian
    Yup I tried that before, when I swing them towards each other i see the plates loosen up a bit but it doesn't budge. I'll try swinging the back over and loosening the screws on the one side a bit. I'll check back after thats done.

Update: WOW heh I think my heart just skipped a beat! I was just fiddling with the camera and I tightened and loosened screws to no avail. Then I just decided to push on the rear shift as hard as I could. There was a bit of a tacking sound like when you pull something apart thats been glued together. It scared me half to death but the rear shift is now working! I imagine it was frozen by dirt or probably hadn't been worked in a long time. When I got the camera there was an even layer of dust on it so I think the poor camera was someones shelver. Thanks all for confirming what those rear levers actually do

If you need some backup I could sell you a 4 pound hammer (:-))
    Pete.

Where are you located? In the USA Wista service is reached at 252 652-4401.

Well the rear shift didn't break or anything, it was just stuck. But I may need to get the camera serviced at some point thanks for the number