Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image circles and filters

Image circles and filters

I am curious about whether image circle measurements are done with or without filters. I have been mapping the image circle on some new lenses - 80 and 110 xl - and I find that filters do cut into the image circle, even taking account that these lenses illuminate more than the rated image circle.

Re: Image circles and filters

without

3d Visual Effects artist

Although with how conservative some of the measurements are, you might think they were using a filter, haha!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

I know the center filters glass extends past the barrel and a 4" polarizer will work depending on the filter..

Thanks Bob. I suppose that makes sense. I do not use filters indoors, and color photographers do not use the much at all. But outdoors, shooting black and white, I almost always use a filter and it cuts a chuck out of a very expensive image circle on SS XL lenses.

Maybe the real problem is that I can never see the corners well enough with shifted, wide lenses to see if am out of IC.:-)

You can fix this by going to a larger diameter filter on a step ring.
    The downsides are the added expense and bother of the extra gear. But not that much to have a set of 95mm filters and step rings for each lens size.

You could replace the 80 with a 72XL and get some coverage gain.
    For the 110 I find it hard to imagine that missing a few mm of coverage would ever hurt you on 4x5.

I've always found that the more "normal" a focal length I could use, the more natural looking the picture. As long as I can exclude from the frame what I want, I shoot a longer lens. I used wides a lot but for reasons other than my preference -- i.e. a 47 or 58 to cover a bathroom shot.

On fortuitous occasions I've walked up to a subject building and everything was right there waiting for me. Perfect setting, perfect place to stand, perfect light, little camera movement - a relaxed and fully pleasant view. Mostly that's not there waiting for you. You find something that's not ideal. You can overcome this by technique and skill. Sometimes it appears that forcing the picture into your wide lens is the solution, but the more you force it the more forced the result can become.

Hi Henry,

This is for my walk around kit. For big pack kit, I use the Lee system, and that is where my 72mm XL sits, as well as the 90mm 4.5 Nikon and the 47mm XL. I was looking for a light kit with max movements. As for perspective, I know what you are saying, but since I am not shooting for a client, I do not have to make things look normal. I have always shot really wide - part of the walk around kit is to get me back to carrying long lenses and trying to learn to use them well.

Any tips for figuring out when I have exceeded the allowable movements for a given lens? I am thinking about a max elevation mark on the lens board for each lens. It would line up with the top of the Ebony side rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Thanks Bob. I suppose that makes sense. I do not use filters indoors, and color photographers do not use the much at all. But outdoors, shooting black and white, I almost always use a filter and it cuts a chuck out of a very expensive image circle on SS XL lenses.

Maybe the real problem is that I can never see the corners well enough with shifted, wide lenses to see if am out of IC.:-)
    Using a Fresnel screen on your camera? Keeping your eye in the optical axis when doing movements? Do you have cut corners on your GG?

"even taking account that these lenses illuminate more than the rated image circle."

Not at the designed specifications for the lens. Yes you can go beyond the design specs but not at the quality level the lens was designed to provide.

My understanding (please feel free to correct if wrong) is that there isn't necessarily a clearly defined usable "image circle" with most lenses, especially not older lenses. There's the circle of good definition, which to some extent is based on what the manufacturer thinks is good definition, and there's the rest of the "image circle." Your filter may be cutting into the image circle but not the circle of good definition.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.