Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Overkill

Tripod Overkill

I know the question of "which tripod should I buy" has been done to death but I'm going to come at it a bit differently. A couple of years ago, when I got into LF, I asked the question and based on the responses, I bought a Bogen 3021/3047 for my Speed Graphic and GV-II. I've since used it with my Eastman 2-D (8x10) but didn't think it was quite big enough (plus, I needed a second tripod). So, I just picked up a 3051/3047 and 3036/3047 locally, along with a Bogen monopod with 3025 head. The price was right (I think), and they didn't seem so big when I was buying them but once I put them beside their little brother, they dwarf the 3021. So, I guess my question is, how much overkill are these things? What can they really carry? I've never actually had a problem with motion blur using the 2D on the 3021 so which one should I be using (or which one can I get away with)

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Tripod Overkill

I can't help on specifics, but I've used tripods from telescopic metal legged travel ones (built around 60 years ago) to 6ft solid wood legs for surveying.

I realised that if the pictures are important I'll take the heavier legged tripod I bought recently, but if I'm traveling light I'll take a baby one.

I was using 5x4's on a cheap plastic and metal tripod for ages til I could afford a better one.

In fact an indoor shot (slow shutter) taken with an RB67 using the travel tripod is going to be used for all sorts of press for an artist. The tripod held the camera but only just. It held it still, no shake. It was better to have the weak tripod than nothing at all.

If I could carry a beast of a tripod everywhere I would.

They aren't overkill when you need them, that's for sure.

Rather than comparing sheer size, how do you feel lifting and moving them? Do you find the new legs to be too big? That's the threshold question because if you think they are too big, you'll probably leave them home.

I have a monster Sachtler that I use for a pro video camera but I also put my SLR on it from time to time when I don't have to carry it for any length. I'd always pick "bigger" if I'm working from the car or inside; always "smaller" if I have to carry it more than a few blocks. It's overkill, for sure, for the SLR, but I have it, it's a work of precision engineering so I might as well use it.

I use a monster Davis and Sanford video tripod. It's big and it's heavy, but the features far outweigh those shortcomings. For example I can raise this thing to about ceiling height. This is great for shooting over crowds or over fences when they surround the building I'm photographing. I carry a little step ladder to raise me to camera height and it works perfectly. Heck the center post is about 2 inch diameter, and rock solid and smooth. You should the look on folks faces when I send the air assisted column high above their heads. Overkill? Heck yes, but I do love this thing. Then again I don't do the hiking thing, I'm usually pretty close to my vehicle. If the shot requires walking I usually kick down to MF anyway with a liter tripod.

The tripods are fine -- you just need bigger cameras...

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

If I were you I'd try to work tward a carbon fiber tripod ! You can find em used on occasion but considering your camera weight you need to have the pod weight down to compensate for camera being heavy..

i use a 3021 with a 3047 head for most of my shooting. chamonix 4x5 up to kodad century universal. i use it mostly as it is tall enough that i do not need to raise the center column.

i also have a 3251 with a 3039 that i love. the little buttons that allow you to adjust the height quickly is awesome. then the side ones allow individual leg adjustments all from the top of the pod. i use this one for bigger cameras or if i am not going far...and in the studio.

i also got one of them HUGE Linholf beasts. i had to buy it....it was only $60 with head column etc etc......it never leaves the original resting spot in the studio...
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

neophyte

2 tripods = nearly enough tripods. Big and heavy for when you dont schlep it, smaller for when you do.
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

I've owned a Kodak 2D, a Bogen 3021, and a 3047 head. Never owned a 3051 or a 3036 though I've owned several similar Bogen tripods (e.g. the 3046).

The load capacity of both the 3051 and the 3036 is 26.4 lbs. However, the 3051 weighs 12.6 pounds and the 3036 weighs 9.8 lbs so obviously the 3036 is better for field use based on weight alone. The 3051 might also be a little on the short side for someone who's fairly tall because its maximum extension is 63 inches (and I never like to use any tripod at its maximum extension) whereas the 3036 goes up to 81 inches, more than you'd likely ever need in the field especially when the head and camera are added. Which means you wouldn't need to fully extend the legs to use the tripod, which is good. Both have geared center columns though I never use center columns with a LF camera.

I wouldn't use the 3021 with an 8x10 camera. I used mine mostly for an early digital camera and a Pentax 67 system. I might also have used it with light (4 lb) wood field cameras. But for me the 3021 would feel too insecure with a 2D mounted on it. I don't think either the 3036 or the 3051 is "overkill" for a 2D. Both should work fine, their load capacity is well above the weight of a 2D with lens but that's not unusual with many LF cameras.

I never used my 3047 with an 8x10 camera. Its load capacity (16.5 lbs) is right at the weight of your 2D with a lens. It might work fine, I've used plenty of tripods and heads that weighed more than the manufacturer's stated load capacity, but the 3047 would make me a little nervous with a 2D on it. I used the 3047 for medium format and some 4x5 wood cameras. For 8x10 I preferred a head with a larger mounting base, such as the Bogen 3057 which has a 4" square base but weighs the same as your 3047.

If weight isn't a big issue I'd just use whichever of the 3036 or 3051 feels easier to use, quicker to set up and take down, etc. If weight is an issue then the 3036 would be the better choice if it otherwise suits you. And I'd probably look for another head.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

So many of us have used the 3021/3047 combination. I used to use it with the Zone VI 8X10 (no lightweight) and it worked but was obviously too heavy for it and I was pressing my luck. It was just fine with 4x5 and 5x7. I know they are expensive, but I agree with the carbon fiber suggestion. I finally bought the Gitzo and it is just a pleasure to use. I have handled some of the Feisol ones and they seem like credible less expensive options.