Thread: Omega D5 lens stage alignment question

Omega D5 lens stage alignment question

After reading a previous thread on aligning a D5, I'm still confused. Does anyone have an Omega D5 service manual or a schematic/parts list and drawing of the D5 available? I'm confused as to what the"eccentric rod" and where the set screws mentioned are located that others are referring to when aligning the lens stage. (I can align the negative stage to the baseboard) I was able to download a pdf of a D3/D5 owners manual but it doesn't mention anything about lens stage alignment or eccentric rods.
    Thanks for any help!
    Gary P

Re: Omega D5 lens stage alignment question

I would love to get a copy as well.

I have a service manual for several Omegas that another forum member was kind enough to give me some time ago.
    The forum doesn't let me attach files to e-mails. Gary, Jeff, and whoever else is interested, please send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll send you the files.

I just checked and aligned my D5 a few days ago. I used an alignment level made by Beseler that came with my 810VXL. You place the level on the base board and zero the bubble, then you use the tool to adjust the negative stage to the base board zero just obtained. You do this for front to rear and side to side.

On the top of the lens track are two mount screws, and at the bottom are two mount and stop screws. If you loosen these you can level the lens stage to the base board the same way for side to side. There is no front to rear level adjustment that I could find, and I have all the instructions. I guess they figured it wasn't needed, but when I checked mine, it was out quite a bit, pitching backward. After all these years something has sagged changed the alignment. I removed the two above-mentioned mount and stop screws at the bottom of the lens track, obtained some longer replacements and put some thin washers between the lens track and the mount on the focus rails until the lens was zeroed with the base board front to rear.

There are some pretty accurate and inexpensive dial level indicators you can buy in Home Depot, etc. Just transfer the readings you have on the base board to the negative stage and lens stage. Many older base boards are warped, all you can do is get it in the ball park.

Beginner 5x7 Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I just checked and aligned my D5 a few days ago. I used an alignment level made by Beseler that came with my 810VXL. You place the level on the base board and zero the bubble, then you use the tool to adjust the negative stage to the base board zero just obtained. You do this for front to rear and side to side.

On the top of the lens track are two mount screws, and at the bottom are two mount and stop screws. If you loosen these you can level the lens stage to the base board the same way for side to side. There is no front to rear level adjustment that I could find, and I have all the instructions. I guess they figured it wasn't needed, but when I checked mine, it was out quite a bit, pitching backward. After all these years something has sagged changed the alignment. I removed the two above-mentioned mount and stop screws at the bottom of the lens track, obtained some longer replacements and put some thin washers between the lens track and the mount on the focus rails until the lens was zeroed with the base board front to rear.

There are some pretty accurate and inexpensive dial level indicators you can buy in Home Depot, etc. Just transfer the readings you have on the base board to the negative stage and lens stage. Many older base boards are warped, all you can do is get it in the ball park.
    It is a very simple job to align the lens stage for front to rear alignment.

Look at the chassis of the enlarger and you will notice the wheels that ride up and down on the column. The upper wheels, at the rear, are where the front to back alignment adjustment is located.

Look at the axle that the wheels are mounted on. There should be a small hole in the center of the axle. Put a nail or a jeweler's screwdriver into this hole. Now loosen the screws on the side of the chassis that hold the axle in place. Do NOT remove the screws, loosen them just enough to allow the axle to turn when you use the nail or screwdriver as a lever to rotate the axle.

The holes drilled into the end of the upper rear axle are drilled off-center and rotating the axle will cause the enlarger chassis to tilt up or down, bringing the lens stage into front to rear alignment.

When you have achieved the alignment, don't forget to re tighten the axle screws.

Mike

Thanks for the advice everyone. The major mistake I was making was trying to find the eccentric axle etc. on the front side of the enlarger! Also, my enlarger is/was mounted on a bench up against the wall.....just had a new baseboard made and am in the process of aligning the lens stage.

Thanks Mike! Looks like this should be the second step. First level the lens track right to left, then front to rear with the axle as you have described, and finally the negative stage. Couldn't feel the hole in the axle at first, but when I got back in there it was close to the left wheel.