Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Tablet

Graphics Tablet

I'm in the market for a tablet and am overwhelmed by all the options. Any suggestions? I'm doing fairly simple Photoshop work and the mouse is causing wrist and arm pain so I thought a tablet would be worth a try. Also, more precision than I have now would be good.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Re: Graphics Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I'm in the market for a tablet and am overwhelmed by all the options. Any suggestions? I'm doing fairly simple Photoshop work and the mouse is causing wrist and arm pain so I thought a tablet would be worth a try. Also, more precision than I have now would be good.
    Richard, Hi. Get a Wacom, they are the standard and they work very well. I can't imagine being without it...

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Thanks Lenny, any particular model?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I have a Wacom Intuos 3, 12" x 12" tablet. I hesitated because of the cost (~$500.00), but now I wouldn't be without it. They make several different size tablets, see if a local Staples or computer store has some you can check out.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

Preston Birdwell

I have a Wacom Intuos 4 in the small size. It has a 6.2x3.9 in. active area. I find it works very nicely for 4x5's. I also have space limitations, so the small size is perfect for my situation.

It came with the pen, an assortment of nibs, pen stand, mouse, USB cable, and software. It was quick and easy to set up. $229 MSRP.

I highly recommend the Intuos tool.

I agree with RJ: If you can find some hands-on demos, that would be a good thing, so you can see which size works best for you.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Wacom tablets are amazing - you wont regret it at all. I would recommend the Intuos 3 (used) or Intuos 4 (used/new). In my experience, the small size (about 4x6) is enough for photographic work, but if you can afford it and have the desk space (an important consideration, the tablets get really big really fast), go with the next size up. I would not recommend any of the large tablets, especially for photography. I no longer use a mouse at all; the tablet is faster, more natural and considerably more comfortable, especially for long sessions.

I've been happy with a Wacom bamboo. I got the touch/pen version, but shut off the touch features after using them briefly. I mainly got the Bamboo because I don't have the space for a full-sized tablet, but I've not found it lacking in control or features for the kind of PhotoShop work I do. I mostly use it for dust-destroying with the spot healing tool, for which the tablet is so much nicer than a mouse. If that's all I ever do with it, then I've gotten my money's worth.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

I tried the Intuos medium, and the system kind of throws me off. I find the hand-eye coordination a challenge with this unit.

If I could afford it, I'd try the Cintiq 12WX. It looks like an excellent system.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Thanks Lenny, any particular model?
    I have an Intuos 3, but would buy a 4 if it were today. They keep improving it. Mine is a 6x11, so it easily covers the full screen on a Cinema display... I like a little larger one... so there is some relationship of movement on the pad to the screen that makes sense to my brain... One gets used to them all, of course...

Hope that helps,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I find the small cheap Wacoms work nicely, I've had larger and I've used them since 1990 (ADB!) but I don't think I can work delicately enough to make a difference in whether I'm using only 512 steps (the cheap ones) versus the more expensive models that can distinguish 1024 steps.

The larger tablets are more for illustrative work and real drawing where you want to use your entire arm to draw. With the little ones it is more subtle. I suppose the larger tablets could be slightly more precise but most of what I do is soft-edged brushing so precision is more dependent on how far I zoom in on-screen and the size of the brush.

The only way to learn to use it is to remove the mouse and make yourself use only the tablet for a few days. After which the mouse will feel like a clumsy turd. But the first day or two is Hell.