Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a Epson 4990...please

Help me find a Epson 4990...please

I was interested in the 4490 but then I learned that it does not scan 8x10 negs. The 4990 is the dream scanner from what I see. However, $400-$500 is out of the question. Then I read that a 4990 can be found refurbished for $198. Can someone tell me where to get it at that price? Would that be a complete kit or just the scanner? Would I be able to find drivers to run it on my Linux computer?

Re: Help me find a Epson 4990...please

Thanks for the effort, but no 4990 there.

Keep an eye on Epson’s clearance site, even if refurbished models appear there once in a blue moon. On many occasions, the site has sold them for $279 + free shipping + one year warranty. (A little more than the $198 you mention, but still a first-rate deal on a very capable scanner.) This is how I ordered mine and it arrived like new.

W K Longcor

When they show up at epson clearance center, they are usually $279.99 -- at least that's what the past half dozen or so have gone for. They are few and far between there. Better bet would be the big E - bay ----They go aywhere from $225 to $375 there. I bought mine there for VERY little (paid more for shipping than for the 4990)-- the opening bid only - forth of july weekend -- nobody else was watching.

I did find a 4990 (the scanner only) at a good price. Used, in perfect working order. Where would I get the accessories/parts that would make this a complete 4990 package? I stumbled onto a list of accessories the other day but now I can not find it. I'm browsing the Epson site but the list evades me.

And in case anyone has the answer to this...
    The 4990 has been replaced by Epson with the V700. However, I do not think the 700 with scan a 8x10 negs. Is there an affordable scanner for 8x10 negs?

A couple of places to start:

Here's Epson's helpful Link about current drivers for the 4990, including all operating sytems.

And here’s “What's in the box,” according to Epson. The list shows what a “complete” package looks like, though most people wouldn’t need each accessory, or every (aging) piece of software:

1) Epson Perfection 4990 Photo Scanner
    2) 8” x 10” Transparency Adapter (Built Into Scanner Lid)
    3) Four Film Holders: 35mm Slides, 35mm Film Strips, Medium Format and 4” x 5” Film
    4) 8” x 10” Film Area Guide
    5) CD-ROM with Epson Scanner Installation Software and Electronic Reference Guide
    6) CD-ROM with Adobe® Photoshop® Elements
    7) CD-ROM with LaserSoft Imaging™ SilverFast® SE 6
    8) USB 2.0 Cable
    9) Scanner Setup Poster
    10) Scanner Quick Guide

Epson doesn't mention “Epson Scan,” but the software is, of course, included on the CD-ROM w/ the hardware installation software.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl View Post
    And in case anyone has the answer to this...
    The 4990 has been replaced by Epson with the V700. However, I do not think the 700 with scan a 8x10 negs. Is there an affordable scanner for 8x10 negs?
    the V700 will scan 8x10 negs; mine does.

The 4990 scans 8x10 negatives, right on the glass. I have done it many times.

You can also scan 4 4x5 sheets at a time - or 2 5x7 sheets - for proofing purposes.

It's helpful to place the film emulsion-side-down, to help avoid Newton's Rings - but you will still get Newton's Rings however.

It's even better to mount the film on a sheet of Anti-Newton's Ring glass (ANR) and suspect it just above the scanner glass - because that's where the actual plane of focus is found. That's what the BetterScanning holders do for Epson scanners.

What may have you confused, is that the BetterScanning holder does not accommodate 8x10 - and that's why people have made their own ANR holders. There has been extensive conversation on the forum about the best way to hold film when using Epson scanners. Some people use thin coins as spacers, others some cardboard or wooden shims.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl View Post
    I did find a 4990 (the scanner only) at a good price. Used, in perfect working order. Where would I get the accessories/parts that would make this a complete 4990 package? I stumbled onto a list of accessories the other day but now I can not find it. I'm browsing the Epson site but the list evades me.
    Check out www.compassmicro.com. I purchased my scanner when CompUSA closed their doors. It was new, the "demo" model (sat on the shelf looking pretty). $150, but nothing came with it. I got all my film holders and guides through Compass Micro for about $56.00, and the needed software on www.epson.com.