Thread: Goerz Double Anastigmat Series IV No 8 19" f9

Goerz Double Anastigmat Series IV No 8 19" f9

Just received an interesting lens that I have not seen before. It is a Goerz Double Anastigmat (Dagor) Series IV No. 8 19" f9. No. 160271. C.P. Goerz Berlin New York. It takes Waterhouse stops and does not have an iris aperture. I am familiar with the Series III Dagors but have never seen a Series IV. I'm assuming that at f9 it might be a process lens. At 19" it should easily cover 11x14 but do not know its angle of coverage. Has anyone shot with this lens and what format would best be suited for its use. Thanks for any info.

Re: Goerz Double Anastigmat Series IV No 8 19" f9

Does it actually say Dagor or does it say Double Anastigmat? It's probably an Artar, which is also a double anastigmat design. See page 37 of this catalog

But, I may be wrong about this. One way to tell is the construction of the glass. Looking at one of the glass elements (shutter closed or cell removed from barrel), an Artar should show 4 bright reflections, being a dialyte type. A Dagor should show 2 bright and 2 dim, being 3 cemented lenses.

Dan

Hi Dan, Thanks for your response and info. It definitely has two brights and it does say Double Anastigmat and not Dagor. Also in the same catalog there is a process Dagor f7.7 which states that it is twice the speed of the earlier Series IV which is my lens, so I'm confident that this is a Dagor type. Also, the elements are quite thick like a Dagor indicating three cemented glasses and not air spaced pairs. Best, Geoffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_5995 View Post
    Just received an interesting lens that I have not seen before. It is a Goerz Double Anastigmat (Dagor) Series IV No. 8 19" f9. No. 160271. C.P. Goerz Berlin New York. It takes Waterhouse stops and does not have an iris aperture. I am familiar with the Series III Dagors but have never seen a Series IV. I'm assuming that at f9 it might be a process lens. At 19" it should easily cover 11x14 but do not know its angle of coverage. Has anyone shot with this lens and what format would best be suited for its use. Thanks for any info.

I owned a 19" Series IV at one time. In fact, it is the lens that got me interested in ULF photography. You are correct in that the Series IV is a Dagor that was sold as a process lens, but it worked well for me as a landscape lens. Mine had a maximum aperture of f/7.7, which is not that different from f/9.

The 19" Dagor has a very large circle of illumination though for best results you will need to stop down to f/32 or f/45 to get adequate definition on the far corners, even for contact printing. The one that I owned had a huge circle of illumination, easily enough to cover a 20X24" negative with some movements when stopped down to f/45 or more.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

loujon

Hi Geoffery

I agree. I,m pretty sure it's an early Process Dagor.

The 1st thing I would do is make a set of stops for the lens including small ones. No matter if you keep her or sale her this type of lens is more about the coverage to size than anything about it's look. Not that it won't have a different look than a modern multi -coated Plasmat.

The above point is made by Sandy's coverage info.

Now If it was a portrait Hypar lens the stops would be far less important.

Great lens & good luck & have fun with your 19" dagor.

Peace
    Louis
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 7-Oct-2010 at 12:02. Reason: add

Thanks Louis & Sandy, Yes, I've found out more through some research and it is definitely a Process Dagor but f11 not f9. I will definitely need to make stops but I don't mind some funk so will try it wide open as well. A friend sent a catalog page with teh Series IV specs and my No. 8 19" will cover 16x18 inch at f15.5 and 22x25 inches when stopped down. I'm planning on using this on 11x14 so coverage is not a problem but too much illumination might cause some flare problems. I also have an 12x20 but need to patch bellows and recondition some holders before I can use it so it's 11x14 for now. I'm attaching a file that shows the Series IV specs and, interestingly, this lens is recommended for wide angle, group, and landscape photography, and not only process work so it is a very versatile lens. It has an angle of 75º wide open and 90º when stopped down. I do have three Portrait Hypars and have only shot them wide open. one has no iris so can only shoot wide open. Thanks for your help, Geoff