Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuji 4X5 Quick Change Holder and 8 sheet Cassette

Fuji 4X5 Quick Change Holder and 8 sheet Cassette

I use the QuickChange and like it, seems durable enough but; I'm not as impressed as with the size and weight savings. Yes, it holds 8 films but because the cartridge holder is metal, the holder with film weighs about the same as three regular dual-film holders. And because the QuickChange is longer, and comes with a thickness- adding padded sleeve that is too nice not to use, it takes up at least as much volume in my pack as three regular holders. So really it only saves the weight and space of one traditional holder. Nice, but not revolutionary.

Dan you're right if you use just the holder and one cartridge, but if you use more than one insert the weight and bulk are quite a bit less. I just stacked the holder with one cartridge inserted and three extras without their boxes, combined they take up the same amount of space as eight regular holders. My weight and bulk has been cut by roughly half, more if you use more cartridges. The cartridges are expensive but as I mentioned Badger Graphics has some dated cartridges on sale $25.00 each not bad. I think the Quickchange is a great compromise between weight and expense and in some cases film avilability. The nice thing about Readyload type films is the ability to write info on each paper covering, film stays clean and that you don't have to load film late at night cramped up in a tent somewhere. The downside is the film is expensive and for me as mentioned above not available in Canada .

Paul,

the cartridges do certainly not last forever. But they will sustain a hundred reloads without any problems, if you take care and:

<ul> <li>rotate the counter only clockwise</li> <li>be careful when inserting new sheets.</li> </ul>

The plastic plates that hold the film are not very solid, because they must be thin enough to store 8 films in limited space. However, if one is&nbsp; worn out some day, you can still keep the cartridge and exchange parts with others. So they actually fade away instead of being useless at once.

I am in quite often in Basel can give you a QuickChange demonstration, if you you are interested and happen to be there some time. Just drop me a note.

Regards,

Thilo, a hundred reloads is much more than I ask! As for being in Basel, I live unfortunately on the opposite side, near Geneva. But thanks for your kind thought!

All,

I have been using the cartridges extensively since October, reloading them up to 30Xs! I have used graphmatic holders, and think these are a huge advantage over those. very easy to use, and fairly robust. You have to be careful putting the septums back in the cartridges - they are a tight fit.

Badger started carrying them after I requested them back in the fall.

I was canyon country with them last week, and was able to carry more film with half the weight of the graphmatics. In fact, I had bought enough cartridges that I was able to load at home and not have to bother loading in the field. I also used some of the Readyloads, and liked them also, so future trips may be a mix of the two.

I'm afraid I dont share some people's enthusiasm for the quickchange system. I bought a holder and 2 catridges a couple of weeks ago from Robert White in the UK. The first time I re-loaded (making sure the 'end-cap' which you remove to empty it was firmly in place), This end-cap stayed behind in the holder when I removed the cartridge and left me with 8 sheets of fogged film.

I reloaded, taking extra care to ensure everything was firmly in place. When these 8 sheets were processed, all had varying light leaks.

I could just have a bad cartridge, I have another one that I will re- load with some FP4 and develop at home, just to check out of thats ok.

Mark, I have 10 cassettes and have been using QuickChange for 3 years now. I never had any problem. I don't use Readyload TMAX anymore because Readyload is expensive and only TMAX is available. QuickChange holder and its cassette are well built.

Regards Hisun Hong Kong

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Re: Fuji 4X5 Quick Change Holder and 8 sheet Cassette

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Caluori View Post
    Greetings,

I have a complete description of the use and reloading of the Quick Change system along with pix, that can be found here: http://www.f32.net/Services/Equipmen...ickchange.html

Regards,
    no images!
    https://web.archive.org/web/20090415...ickchange.html
    I have the quick Load filmholder which seems something else. films in enveloppes.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch