Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compare Linhof 3D MICRO with Arca D4?

Re: Compare Linhof 3D MICRO with Arca D4?

I am currently looking into a new head for my Technikardan S45. I've been considering the Arca Swiss Cube C1, Photo Clam Multiflex and the Linhof 3D Micro.

The Linhof's capacity of 10kg seems a little low to me. The Technikardan weighs ~3kg, adding my 5.6/300mm which weights a bit more than 1kg. When shooting on roll film 1-2kg for the multi-format roll film back are added. The whole equipment easily hits 6-7kg. I like to have some spare capacity, wondering whether +-3kg will be enough?

Anyway, I found the Linhof head on a German website, listed at EUR 905,- availability stated as March/April 2011.

http://www.shop.fotojank.de/wbc.php?....html&pid=3879

7kg is a long, long way from 10 kg. Think of it as a 30% safety factor, and Linhof is conservative and a camera using Technika 45 lens boards can't use the really heavy lenses since the rear element does not fit through the hole in the camera body. So what else can you add to your camera to get to 10 kg? A compendium, Macro Support Rail, Right Angle Reflex Viewer? All of them together won't total 10 kg.

Quote Originally Posted by hiroki View Post
    I am currently looking into a new head for my Technikardan S45. I've been considering the Arca Swiss Cube C1, Photo Clam Multiflex and the Linhof 3D Micro.

The Linhof's capacity of 10kg seems a little low to me. The Technikardan weighs ~3kg, adding my 5.6/300mm which weights a bit more than 1kg. When shooting on roll film 1-2kg for the multi-format roll film back are added. The whole equipment easily hits 6-7kg. I like to have some spare capacity, wondering whether +-3kg will be enough?

Anyway, I found the Linhof head on a German website, listed at EUR 905,- availability stated as March/April 2011.

http://www.shop.fotojank.de/wbc.php?....html&pid=3879

Anyone know about the price of the d4m specifically? I would like to think it'll be notably less expensive than the d4, but I may just be overly optimistic.

Indications are that the D4 will be around 820 Euro, while the D4m may be around 630.

Does anyone have any further price information on the Linhof head? I really like the look of the 3D micro having had good experiences with the previous Linhof 77 levelling head.

Thanks

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron Photography View Post
    Does anyone have any further price information on the Linhof head? I really like the look of the 3D micro having had good experiences with the previous Linhof 77 levelling head.

Thanks

David.
    $1700.00 if the exchange rate holds and there are no last minute factory increases when production starts.

For anyone interested in the D4/D4m (or any other Arca head for that matter), I found this video tonight and it may be of interest here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktzLHLzOKxA

I took delivery of a Linhof 3D Micro. It's built is solid as expected. Having used RRS before the Linhof, I really like how the plate snap into the head. It was sort of like a magnet was in place. Once attached, there is zero play!

It a lot heavier than the RRS (40) and the Markins head I used before, but a lot more portable than the cube I previously tried. I'm happy to answer any question.

I took delivery of a Linhof 3D Micro. It's built is solid as expected. Having used RRS before the Linhof, I really like how the plate snap into the head. It was sort of like a magnet was in place. Once attached, there is zero play!

It a lot heavier than the RRS (40) and the Markins head I used before, but a lot more portable than the cube I previously tried. I'm happy to answer any question.
    This is interesting, I was not aware it was smaller than the cube. How much smaller is it, and is there anything else which makes it more portable?

I am under the impression it is more of a levelling head, and does not have the movements of the cube, is this correct?

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. I just came across an in-depth test of the Micro 3D and would like to share it (unfortunately in German, Google-translate may be your friend) with you (plenty of pictures):
    http://panoramabuch.com/reviews/linhof-3d-micro?page=2

I have one of those 3D leveling heads myself (together with the 90° adapter) and really love it. I sold all the other heads but one light FLM ballhead (in case I need to travel light) and haven't looked back.