Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Pyocat-HD/-MC 2 Bath Developing...

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Pyocat-HD/-MC 2 Bath Developing...

Seeing this thread come back to life prompted me to go back and re-read Sandy's original article. He mentioned he used this method for scanning. Have any of you recent posters (Ken, Larry, and less recently Andrew) wet-printed from negatives processed with two-bath Pyrocat? My naive thought is that it should be feasible if the negatives are processed to a CI of around 0.58, but in my case a little knowledge may be a very dangerous thing indeed!

Thanks for any insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Seeing this thread come back to life prompted me to go back and re-read Sandy's original article. He mentioned he used this method for scanning. Have any of you recent posters (Ken, Larry, and less recently Andrew) wet-printed from negatives processed with two-bath Pyrocat? My naive thought is that it should be feasible if the negatives are processed to a CI of around 0.58, but in my case a little knowledge may be a very dangerous thing indeed!
    My usage of Divided Pyrocat was only for a scanning workflow.

In the recent thread on developers Finest Grain 120 Film & Developer Combo Currently Available (which prompted Larry to resurrect this thread) I made the following suggestion:

"...keep in mind that with Divided Pyrocat, all images are automatically developed to the same contrast level. For a scanning workflow, that's not a problem since we can always add contrast in an editing tool. For a darkroom workflow you may need to make a few adjustments to get a contrast level which works for your workflow of light source/paper/developer etc."
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 28-Aug-2020 at 07:01.

I also reread Divided Pyrocat to the end

I scan most negs for a record, but primarily contact print above 4x5 and enlarge smaller

I MAY try Divided Pyro on roll film

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    My usage of Divided Pyrocat was only for a scanning workflow.

In the recent thread on developers which prompted Larry to resurrect this older thread (Finest Grain 120 Film & Developer Combo Currently Available) I recommended as follows:

"...keep in mind that with Divided Pyrocat, all images are automatically developed to the same contrast level. For a scanning workflow, that's not a problem since we can always add contrast in an editing tool. For a darkroom workflow you may need to make a few adjustments to get a contrast level which works for your workflow of light source/paper/developer etc."
    Tin Can

Do or do not. There is no try.

Thank you, Ken, that's an important point I'd missed when re-reading both threads.

I appreciate Ken's reference to my work with 120 Acros film and to the article on two-bath development that can currently be accessed at https://www.pyrocathd.5x4.co.uk/.

Since 2015 I have used the two-bath procedure with Pyrocat-HCD for the great majority of my development of both medium format and large format film, which at this time is only done for a hybrid workflow with scanning and digital processing and the information in that article should be considered my last stage of experimentation. It is possible to adjust the strength of the formula, and/or temperature of development, to develop for specific conditions of SBR to control contrast for optical printing in the darkroom, and I am aware of at least one person who has a very refined workflow for silver printing with that approach. However, the beauty of the two-bath method has always been for me in the simplicity of just exposing for film speed and desired shadow density and allow development to do the rest. Or should I say I do the rest with image controls in PS.

In the past I became fairly proficient in the use of the BTZS approach to tailor exposure and development, but this involved a lot of record keeping in the field, and subsequent sorting of the film for development. When I converted to scanning and printing digitally the two-bath procedure made a lot more sense to me, and with the two-bath system micro-contrast with edge effects is optimized for this developer compared to any other type of development, including minimal agitation. So while Acros was my favorite film I found that two-bath development was capable of similar results with other ISO 100 T-grain films, including TMax-100 and Delta 100.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Is there no remedy for the build up of Photo Flo?

Sandy
    Sorry for the delay. I have not been paying attention to this thread for quite some time.
    LFN does not coat the reels, and it does not become a catalyst as does PhotoFlo
    Eliminating PF from our lab completely eliminated all problems with over-developed film edges .

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I have many stained reels and tanks that work exactly like my many unstained reels and tanks. I wash my tanks and reels in hot water after each use, and have never seen any build-up of anything. Maybe I'm just lucky!
    Washing in hot water eliminates the PF