Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnass Filmholder Case - Some Design Thoughts

Re: Gnass Filmholder Case - Some Design Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    How about making 5X7 as well?
    Bruce mentioned that he planned 4x5, 8x10, and probably 5x7. I suggest that everyone let him know if they are interested in any of the less common formats.

Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for undertaking this project! By chance I discovered that my local Office Max was a decent source of film holder cases. The Mead Expanding poly envelope in the coupon size (7.5"X5.5") nicely fits two film holders. With some obsessive effort, dust can be eliminated with an anti-static cloth before each use. If someone were to take that basic design and come up with an anti-static version, Iʻd bite.

The advantage of a two-holder case is that the holders can be better distributed around the pack, to fill empty spaces and to make the configuration more flexible.

Maybe itʻs just me, but I shoot in messy places, sometimes with lots of ambient dust. The more I am in and out of a film holder case, the more collateral dust damage happens. Limiting a case to just two film holders means that it gets opened just once or twice.

- Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Becket View Post

By chance I discovered that my local Office Max was a decent source of film holder cases. The Mead Expanding poly envelope in the coupon size (7.5"X5.5") nicely fits two film holders.
    - Jan
    Hi Jan,

I'm looking forward to Bruce's film holder cases. Before they become available, I'm looking for an interim solution. Could you specify the exact model number of "Mead Expanding poly envelope" that you bought? I searched for these online, using Google, and could not find one, including at OfficeMax.com and Staples.com. If you have a link to a page that shows this product, it would be great.

Regards,

// Atul

Hi Atul,
    I got them at the local Office Max, but from the label I see that they come three to a pack, #89583 at www.smead.com. The only drawback is that they close with velcro stick-on tabs that come off after a short while. Junk design. My local drugstore carries another brand that is made of slightly thicker plastic and that closes with string. Old school, but more durable. I havenʻt found the source for those yet. — Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Becket View Post
    Hi Atul,
    I got them at the local Office Max, but from the label I see that they come three to a pack, #89583 at www.smead.com. The only drawback is that they close with velcro stick-on tabs that come off after a short while. Junk design. My local drugstore carries another brand that is made of slightly thicker plastic and that closes with string. Old school, but more durable. I havenʻt found the source for those yet. — Jan
    Thanks, Jan, for the info.

// Atul

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Bruce mentioned that he planned 4x5, 8x10, and probably 5x7. I suggest that everyone let him know if they are interested in any of the less common formats.
    Yes, a 5x7 would be appreciated.

Photobackpacker film holder case sneek preview

Here is the first pre-production sample of the 4x5 Six pack filmholder case.

The color of the outer wrap will be roughly 18% gray - not the green shown here.

I have tried to incorporate as many of the suggestions as I could but in the end, had to make the final design decisions myself. No offense to those who offered suggestions that were not used.

Picture 1 shows the outer cover of the empty case. with the outer handle.
    Picture 2 shows the film holder open with the inner handle at the top.
    Picture 3 shows the orientation of the filmholder going into the case. The zippered case provides for direct sunlight protection but would not be considered light or dust tight.
    Picture 4 shows the label available for noting the contents of the film holder. You can write and erase easily with a number 2 pencil.
    Bruce

Re: Photobackpacker Six-Pack sneek preview.

Picture 5 shows the strip of loop for attaching small accessories like lens brush, etc below the inside handle (thanks Jamie). This will be covered by the outer wrap when in transit.
    Picture 6 shows the system I have come up with to note when a film holder is exposed. When unexposed, the zipper pull hangs below the zipper. When exposed, you simply press the zipper pull into the recessed hook (recessed so it doesn't catch everything). You can tell at a glance which filmholders have been used.
    Picture 7 shows the wrapped-up case with 6 film holders held by the outer handle.

- The Six-Pack with 6 filmholders will fit in the P1/P2 outer pockets.
    - I have designed it to accept 12 filmholders but truthfully I find this unwieldy.
    - The Six-Pack has inner and outer web handles for carrying and hanging from tripod.
    - It is made with polyester since nylon tends to turn our filmholders into dust collectors.
    - China is is essentially shut down for Chinese New Year and I still need to get the "gold sample" from them before I issue a production release. I am hoping to have these available by April 15th.
    - Based upon current pricing, the Six-Pack will retail for $39.95. With the current economic uncertainties, this could change.
    - I am spending the weekend sewing samples of the 5x7 (with 4 compartments) and the 8x10 (with 3 compartments). I hope to be able to include these in the production run but the capital investment in inventory is worrying me a bit in this economy.
    - I am considering making these for off-size filmholders on a custom basis if there is any interest in this. If this is of interest, I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Bruce

Nicely executed, Bruce! Should be very popular- look forward to your final announcement.

I am in for all 3 sizes.
    Bill