Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnass Filmholder Case - Some Design Thoughts

Re: Gnass Filmholder Case - Some Design Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    If you're not hell-bent on a soft case why not use a well sized Lock&Lock plastic case? Put a little foam on the bottom and you have a very lightweight, airtight, watertight, dust proof, strong and not expensive film holder case.
    I really love the lock&lock cases. What I suspect is that mold costs and minimum production run quantities would make it impractical for the size of our niche market.....
    Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Here is my personal feedback to your thoughts:

Regarding the 4x5:

1. Needs to secure the film holders in place - too easy for them to fall out. I have a prototype with zippered closures that is my favorite so far.

Agree with the need to secure the holders in place, but I am concerned that zippered closures, while space efficient, will be too cumbersome in the field. I can just imagine profanely struggling with a zipper with gloved hands in 10-degree temperatures and rapidly changing light during sunrise! Maybe there are high tech zippers available these days that are more cooperative, but I have always preferred Velcro (I use the Velcro tabs and not the zippers on your lens case holders for the same reason). I have attached a few photos of my beloved Calumet 4x5 film holder case as an example; it is bulky and lacking features, but it takes good care of my film and is quick and reliable to use.

2. I would be inclined to have only 5 film holders per case. I don't need to haul out 10 film holders every time I set up to shoot. This would also allow the case to fit in the side pockets on the P1 and P2 packs I sell.

This is fine with me. I shoot mostly B&W and color neg film these days (exposure bracketing rarely required), so five holders per case is fine.

3. Store film holders out of direct sunlight.

Definitely!

4. There is an awful lot of material in the Gnass version. If the film holders are in secure zippered compartments, the large overall wrap can be reduced in size or possibly eliminated. At worst, it can be less heavy material than the 1200 denier Poly.

If we assume that the new cases are stored either inside the backpack (or your P1/P2 sidepockets) or in some type of protective container in the car, then I agree that considerable bulk can be shed from the case (versus the Gnass or Calumet).

5. With the zippered compartment, I would be inclined to have a piece of pencil-compatible plastic so the user can indicate what is inside and perhaps a unexposed/exposed indicator as well.

This is a nice idea, although I am a bit uncertain about using it since I'd be afraid of forgetting to change labels during a long trip (you well know what changing lots of film holders in a hotel room late at night can do to the exhausted photographer...). I personally have found it safer to dedicate an entire film case to a single film stock to avoid such labeling problems. In rare situations where I have holders with different film stocks within the same case, I use post-it notes on the holders to label which holder has which film, but your solution certainly is much more elegant.

6, Color - I suspect I will run into some minimum run issues for color. The Kodak yellow (PMS 123) would look nice but the 1000 yd minimum run is an issue.....

Personally I don't care, I'll just go with the flow.

7. Dust proof - Any design I go with will have ample space for the use of plastic bags. I am exploring a custom run of bags to be a better fit for the 4x5 and 8x10 holders without the excess. These would be a simple fold-over style.

This works for me, so long as the bags are anti-static. I'm presuming the anti-static quality will largely compensate for the lack of an outright zippered seal. I scan all of my keepers these days, so I am a bit less dust fastidious than some folks. If a folded anti-static bag keeps 95%+ of the dust out then I am fine with that.

Regarding the 8x10:

1. Same design changes as above keeping the 3 holder size per the sample I looked at.

From a purely selfish point of view, I would prefer a 4 holder case, as I can currently stuff 4 holders into the main outside compartment (on the main back flap) of my P2 backpack. However, if a 4 case holder can't fit, then I can live with a 3.

A couple comments common to both the 4x5 and 8x10 cases: both should have a provision for hanging from the tripod while shooting. And be sure to have a clear plastic window available on the outside of the case where we can insert a small piece of paper or white cardboard identifying the film stock in the case. I tend to dedicate cases to a single film stock.

Glad to see you innovating as always, Bruce. Good luck with this latest project!

I am not sure I appreciate the utility of whole Gnass approach. First, I never want anything hanging on my tripod, it is just an invitation to vibration unless it is also resting on the ground. Second. it is much easier to use a Kinesis pouch on a belt. Kinesis makes one that holds up to 6 holders perfectly, with a pocket in the front for a notepad and pencil, and a flap to holds down with velcro to keep everything secure. I keep a stack of holders in each side pocket of the PBP Kelty and switch them out with the ones in the pouch. I also add a pouch for my light meter and loupe, and another for filters, to the belt. Then all my working gear is handy so I do not have to mess with the pack until I run out of holders or want to change lenses. I can take the holders out of the belt pack and stuff it into the outside pocket of the Kelty for transit.

I use a pair of Gnass Quickload pouches with my Quickchange system. I do hang it on the tripod when composing and pfaffing about, but remove it when exposing as it always swings about too much in the ever-present wind.

I like the ready-access, but don't like the fact that dust and lint can easily get inside. I wouldn't want it unprotected inside a backpacking rucksack. That said, I wouldn't like individual zips for single holders or pairs of holders - too much zipping and unzipping with two hands for my liking.

I am a big fan of Gladstone openings which stay open on their own, and the quick and secure sealing of drybags with a single waterproof zip and a rollover top. A holder case which combined the two would be ideal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    I really love the lock&lock cases. What I suspect is that mold costs and minimum production run quantities would make it impractical for the size of our niche market.....
    They are produced in such many different sizes that you can always find a size convenient for your purpose. Check their website. Some foam inside (to prevent irritating noise in a backpack) makes up for slight size differences. I have them for lenses (multiple or individual packing) roll film holders, films, accessories etc.

LJ Segil

Might 5x7 or 4x10 cases (the latter do not fit in your side pockets on the P2) be possible without too much trouble for your manufacturing? Perhaps another possibility would be to attach a holder/carrier to the loops on the back of your back with a couple of clips, carabiners, or some such devices? Probably kind of floppy if just secured to the center loops, but may be convenient for film holders too large for the side pockets on the P2, and perhaps there could be a way to secure the sides of the holder to the pack to decrease the possible movement? Just a thought, a little OT.
    Larry

Bruce, it is great to hear that you plan to add a dedicated film holder case/pouch to your product line. As I have never used the Gnass Gear pouch I can not comment on that one. Anyhow - I am sure you will get it right.

The only think I would like to put a word in for would be the color - please make than in 2 or 3 colors (say blue, red and yellow) such that if one carries two of them (my approach to separate different film types) they do not get confused. Right now I am using just a pouch made out of folded Novoflex blue neoprene cloth, but would definitely welcome some better solution.
    Matus

I too would be interested in a case for 5x7.
    Mark

Antistatic Bags

Somehow I missed this thread. I just got a look at the 4x5 prototype today and I thought it was very nice. I will leave it to Bruce to disclose the details but I thought the quality was excellent and I will be happy to buy them when available. So you might see some nice used Gnass versions posted for sale! The comments here were very good and he incorporated or at least considered them I am sure.

Does anyone have a source for fold-over antistatic bags for 4x5 film holders? I tried this for 8x10 but the ones I bought are pretty bulky. It would be nice if properly sized antistatic bags were available from Photobackpacker when the packs become available.

Eric Biggerstaff

How about making 5X7 as well?
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com