Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to a rural area, how to get rid of chemicals?

Moving to a rural area, how to get rid of chemicals?

Hi there,

Just got a job...I may be renting a beautiful house on the coast from a nice lady for a low but still-too-high for me price. But anyway...

I'm guessing the house has a septic system. From my searches here, I'm thinking that I will collect all the chemicals I use in 5 gallon jugs or something like that, but not be concerned about the wash water going down the drain. Does that sound like a plan?

I know the water around here needs a lot of filtering. I hope it's not total crap. Darn. Hadn't thought of that.

Thanks
    Paul

Re: Moving to a rural area, how to get rid of chemicals?

Go to Home Depot and get one of those reverse osmosis setups for one of your sinks. I bought one for mixing chemicals and they're great. They state that they do 10+ gallons per day. We feed my wife's aquarium with it and I mix all my chemistry with it. I've never had it run out on me. You can also pick up a silver recovery unit to keep the heavy metals out of the soil. Selenium toner is a different issue, but as one person pointed out, it lasts forever, so just don't dump it. The tiny bit that washes off the prints will be insignificant.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Check out these varied comments.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=septic

There was another thread on this topic as well, just search on the term "septic"

You may want to collect the first rinse after fixing as well - silver is environmentally fairly harmless on a big scale as it does not exist in soluble form for long, but on a small scale, even traces might foul up your septic system. For many colour processes there are regenerative silver recovery systems (essentially a iron wool filter cartridge with a pump to hook it up to the tank, where you'd only mail in the cartridge), but black and white fixers do get destroyed as a whole in silver recovery - in small to medium amounts is is less hassle to have this done, or you'll only increase the amount of water not disposable into the septic system.

Some black and white developers are biodegradable or self-decomposing with a short half life, and may be disposed of in septic systems after neutralizing them - check the MSDS.

Sevo

It may depend on local regulations.

I checked this out many years ago in Pollock Pines, Ca with a city official who was responsible for water treatment. I had a septic system in that house, and this official suggested that these chemicals might even to the system some good. He pointed out that it probably wouldn't be any worse than all the other chemicals that get dumped, like bleach, detergents, etc. I also checked this out with Kodak.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about dumping normal chemicals. (e.g. used developer, stop, unused fixer) I would definitely not dump spent fixer and selenium toner. See if you can find a disposal place that would accept spent fixer and selenium toner. For example, Portland, Oregon has a place that's subsidized for small amounts of discard.

Do you do alternative process, for example, that might include using DiChromates? I wouldn't put any of these down any drain.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!

I drink the run-off from Kodak, over a million of us do, and we're all just fine....

If you're only generating a few gallons from few sessions in a temporary rental house darkroom... I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I drink the run-off from Kodak, over a million of us do, and we're all just fine...
    The fact that you think you're fine worries me. I've read your posts. Seen your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    The fact that you think you're fine worries me. I've read your posts. Seen your pictures.
    LMAO Paul!

Rob

I am on septic and in a coastal community and I take all of my used chemicals to the local household hazardous waste. However I have been getting some grief lately as one of the employees takes all my waste developer, fixer, bleach and toners. But the other guy now refuses to take anything but fixer and toners.

So I have a few gallons of waste developer and bleach and I am hoping the right guy is there next time I show up.

Here are Kodaks Guidelines for Amateur Photographers ( if the link works )

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/documents...05/J300ENG.pdf

They seem reasonable to me.

multiplex

waste haulers don't cost too much for carting away spent fixer
    you can desilver fixer and wash water by making a home made trickle tank
    or electrolytic unit or buy them -- they aren't too expensive to purchase.
    you can also desilver your fixer + wash by making a super saturated salt solution
    and pouring it into your wash+spent fix ..
    maybe being on the coast you can get sea water and add MORE salt to it
    sea water is like perma wash ..
    with the home made trickle tank & C you have to filter out the
    sludge and dispose of that ...

if you are worried about your tailings, you could get a baseline for your water
    before you do anything, and another one after you do these processes to see which one gets the most silver out
    and is the least painful ..

water tests aren't too expensive ...