Thread: Gitzo GT1541--for real or marketing hype

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gitzo GT1541--for real or marketing hype

The Gitzo GT1541 is rated at 17.6 lbs, which is the same rating as the much thicker and heaving older G1228 (mkII). Is the 17.6 lbs marketing bs or is it for real? If real, then this very thin and light (2.5 lb) tripod could hold my 4x5 with any lens, or my DSLR with 400mm f/3.5 lens.

Re: Gitzo GT1541--for real or marketing hype

I've found that this is the maximum theoretical limit for weight, in reality it's more like half that. That's not to say you can't put a 16 lbs. camera on the tripod and use it, just that it will be a little wobbly.

But then those are my findings, YMMV.

Brian

Drew Wiley

Weight ratings do not directly equate to stability. Best to test with your own camera
    and head on it.

I purchased that tripod and returned it. The legs were just way too thin for me, and I didn't trust my DSLR on it. I ended up getting the Gitzo GK2580TQR and selling off the ball head that comes with the kit. The legs are rated to 26lbs without the ball head (please confirm if you decide to buy, I can't recall where I heard that). Although with light legs and a large camera I still worry about it tipping over. I mount my backpack to the hook on center column and it is rock solid. Great travel pod that fits in my carry on. It's a bit pricey but there is a $100 rebate right now and I got $200 for the ball head, so it took some of the sting out.

Good luck.
    Tony

Found the rating info on the Gitzo site http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.7..._FOR_GK2580TQR

I am utterly confused by Gitzo's naming scheme, but isn't the GK2580TQR the same as the G2540 (i.e. G2541)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I am utterly confused by Gitzo's naming scheme, but isn't the GK2580TQR the same as the G2540 (i.e. G2541)?
    the closed length of the GT2540T is about 4" shorter at 16.93"

The following is a guess:

G = Gitzo
    K = Kit
    T = Tripod when before the numbers
    T = Traveler after the series numbers

2500 is the series (like Jobo 2500 series tanks)

3rd number is the number of sections

the last number I don't know

I tested my Arca-Swiss F-Line on it, and it seemed fine. But I always used my Gitzo 320 (rated at 25 lbs) for a rock-solid setup. (BTW, I might sell my 320, if you're interested.)
    Mike

3d Visual Effects artist

it's mind boggling how many tripods they (and other companies) make. I was looking at getting a lighter weight tripod to replace my old worn out aluminum legs for my digital camera. There were SO many options, I just said screw it, I'll keep using my old tripod until it really falls apart. I think they make way to many of them. I'd rather see them make just a few, better quality and lower price.

It's like going in to buy toothpaste, there's like 250 different kinds, haha! So instead of just making a real decision, I just grab the one that looks the closest like the the one I think I grabbed the time before. to many options, haha!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com