Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter Clearance on a 110mm XL

Filter Clearance on a 110mm XL

I have just received a 110mm XL and have been cautioned that there is no enough clearance to use a screw in filter without hitting the front of the lens. That is clearly the case with any filers where the filter glass is close to the back of the filter. But I have some Heliopan filters that seem to have enough clearance. I want to test these rather than just guess. I tried the trick of putting a piece of tissue between the lens and the filter to see if it can move after the filter is on. But static keeps it stuck to the lens so it does not shift even when the filter is loose. Any other ways to test the clearance and not destroy the lens in the process? I have thought about putting a drop of lens cleaner on the center of the lens, screwing in the filter, and watching the shape of the drop. I would prefer something that will protect the lens.

Lachlan 717

Re: Filter Clearance on a 110mm XL

Make it easy on yourself: get a step-up ring.

I did it, and most of the lenses 110mm's you see for sale have one in place already.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

All of my filters start at 77mm so a 67-77 stepper does the trick and no worries about lens contact.

Photographer

I got a cheap 67mm filter (a Spiratone remnant!), removed the glass and leave the ring in place on the 110XL. All my filters are 67mm.
    Keith Pitman

I found there wasn't enough clearance for me to be comfortable with Hoya and Tiffen filters when I used 67mm filters. I switched back to my 72mm filters (they fit my Schneider 210mm) with a step up ring after discovering the problem.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I got a cheap 67mm filter (a Spiratone remnant!), removed the glass and leave the ring in place on the 110XL. All my filters are 67mm.
    A rare instance when no one can rebuke you about a low-end filter on a high-end lens.

A 67-67 glassless “spacer” is my strategy, too, though as others have mentioned, a step-up ring might be an even better idea – say a 67-72 or a 67-77.

(Of course, my 67-67 spacer lets me keep using the “Schneider” 67mm front cap – no need to remove it! And I’m very proud the spacer still says “multi-coated.”)

But I will remove the spacer when I attach my Lee 67mm ring, or when I attach a 67-77 step-up ring – I do have one – since some of my important glass filters are 77mm. Remembering to remove the spacer adds a little bit to movements when I need them…

I used a thin line step up ring to 72mm since that is my basic filter size. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    A 67-67 glassless “spacer” is my strategy...
    Where did you get that?

Anyone checked to see how much the 67-72 step up or the spacer affects coverage? (Although I doubt I can come close to edge of coverage on my Ebony.)

Ditto the thin line step up ring from 67 - 72mm. Never had a problem with coverage.