Thread: How to prevent purple streaks on TMAX100 in Jobo 3005

How to prevent purple streaks on TMAX100 in Jobo 3005

I am a beginner at LF. I have started using a Jobo 3005 to process 8x10 TMAX 10 0 film. I have been using D76 and then fixing with plain jane Kodak fixer. I h ave been placing the emulsion side toward the hollow center. I am getting purpl e lines where the film apparently is overlapping. I am fixing for 13 minutes an d I am still having some problems. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciat ed. Sincerely, Jerry

Jerry I'm going to suggest that the purple you see is the unfixed film due to the fixer not being able to reach it. T-MAX films are notoriously purple if incompletely fixed and refixing this film in a tray until the color disappears should do the trick.

What you might be seeing here is the antihalation layer. This is normally removed during development, but if you have the back of the film pressed against the side of a tube, it might not be entirely washed away.

With TMX, I've gotten purplish blue blobbies around the middle of 4x5 sheets.

You can remove them by soaking the film in a tray with Kodak hypo clear. Plain sodium carbonate in water will also do the trick. I've even used Rodinal to do this.

If this is your problem, you can remove the stain from fixed and dried film. Just soak until they look clear, then go for a while longer. Wash and dry again, of course.

Although I'm not familiar with the 3005 drum, I think you're getting undecoloriz ed dyes where the film presses against the drum walls.

You don't have to fix forever. Give a normal fix time, whatever Kodak recommen ds. Then fish the sheets out of the drum, give them a bath in hypo-clear in a tr ay, then wash and dry. For HCA you can use any commercial solution such as Orbit Bath, Heico Perma-Wash etc or you can mix your own by dissolving around 25g sod ium sulfite and 5g sodium bisulfite in a liter of water.

Give a couple of minutes in the HCA with lots of agitation, then wash for the film manufacturer's recommended time. HCA makers may recommend a shorter time bu t you certainly won't do any harm by washing longer. I wash 20-30 minutes.

Make sure the tank is completely dry before inserting film. Any wet spots will make the film stick to the sides of the drum.

Jerry, as Mike has pointed out, in case of T-Max-Film the color comes from antihalation dyes that still resides in your film. Use a more extensive rinse cycle instead of a stop bath after development to wash out those dyes that have not been washed out by the developer (which might get saturated, especially when using low volumes in drums). You might experience a similar effect with Ilford Delta Films. In case of Ilford Films, the color is not from antihalation dyes. Ilford uses dyes to make the film panchromatic and these should be washed out during fixing. The best way to remove either dyes is to use a two bath fixing stage. Fix half of the time in one bath and have of the time in the second. Then dispose the first bath and use the second as the first one in the next cycle. This is the best way to make sure that a T-Grain film is properly fixed and will yield the most clear base possible.

Regards,

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I've found a presoak to be quite effective. Fill up your drum and then let it sit for at least a couple of minutes. Drain it out, and you will see the anti-halation dye go down the drain. Then after you finish fixing (and hypo-clear), fill it up again and let it sit for 10-20 minutes. When you drain it out, you will see the water go radically pink. Your negatives should be clear.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans