Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New from Leaf

Re: New from Leaf

Yair -

That image shows high resolution, and no noise - it's great - but because the subject itself is in bright sunshine, many of the leaves (like the clouds in the aforementioned photo) are plain white.

I don't mean to criticize the accomplishment. I'm a software engineer myself, so I have a sense about how many geniuses, and how much effort, it has taken to bring digital capture to this level.

Again I would politely refer you to some of these larger images, which show a more evocative range of tone and fidelity - keeping in mind that they have been downsized considerably to fit on a web browser. Many members of this forum could provide images of similar, if not greater, breadth. We use technology which hasn't changed much since the 1930's.

Here's one I made 2 days ago, with a subject brightness range of at least 13 f/stops.

And again, if you would like someone to make a few more evocative images with your equipment, I'd be delighted to volunteer

In technology, everything is quickly getting cheaper, once the novelty has worn off. In two years, this will probably cost $16K or less.

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    80 MP back for medium and large format. About $32,000.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...faptusII12.asp
    Mike

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Yair -

That image shows high resolution, and no noise - it's great - but because the subject itself is in bright sunshine, many of the leaves (like the clouds in the aforementioned photo) are plain white.

I don't mean to criticize the accomplishment. I'm a software engineer myself, so I have a sense about how many geniuses, and how much effort, it has taken to bring digital capture to this level.

Again I would politely refer you to some of these larger images, which show a more evocative range of tone and fidelity - keeping in mind that they have been downsized considerably to fit on a web browser. Many members of this forum could provide images of similar, if not greater, breadth. We use technology which hasn't changed much since the 1930's.

Here's one I made 2 days ago, with a subject brightness range of at least 13 f/stops.

And again, if you would like someone to make a few more evocative images with your equipment, I'd be delighted to volunteer
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    $32,000...film never looked so good as now!
    These things aren't made for you and I or probably anyone still using film. They're made for commercial photographers whose clients pay for them. A few years ago a friend of mine who's a commercial photographer bought something similar. He said it paid for itself with one catalog job. I think he's still using it and that was at least five years ago so by now it's paid for itself many times over.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    So true !

I merely point out that to demonstrate the potential of such a wonderful instrument, the manufacturer should enlist the talents of a real virtuoso.

However, because no real virtuoso has stepped forward... I volunteer instead

So true !

I merely point out that to demonstrate the potential of such a wonderful instrument, the manufacturer should enlist the talents of a real virtuoso.

However, because no real virtuoso has stepped forward... I volunteer instead
    Since any photography equipment that costs $32,000 doesn't interest me I haven't gone to the link. But how can you evaluate any photograph from a technical standpoint on a computer monitor? Wouldn't you need to see a print to know what it can really do?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

Peter

It would be nice to see the images, but the links don't go anywhere anymore.
    I guess the discussion is just for the few that have seen this thread from the beginning.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Since any photography equipment that costs $32,000 doesn't interest me I haven't gone to the link. But how can you evaluate any photograph from a technical standpoint on a computer monitor? Wouldn't you need to see a print to know what it can really do?
    People like us have perfectly calibrated equipment: what we see on the monitor, matches what we see in the final print. (Just kidding)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't printers have a more restricted gamut than monitors - as well as a narrower dynamic range ?

If that's the case, then what we see in a final print, will be only a limited view of what the sensor can capture, and what a good monitor can show. That's why scanner software like VueScan - and image editing software like Photoshop - have built-in tools to show colors that are out of gamut. Mine is configured to show those values in lime green.

I may be mistaken, but the subject usually has the widest range of colors and tones, and the sensor captures a slice of that. The monitor shows a reduced portion of that capture. Finally, the print reveals a narrower slice of that.

People like us have perfectly calibrated equipment: what we see on the monitor, matches what we see in the final print. (Just kidding)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't printers have a more restricted gamut than monitors - as well as a narrower dynamic range ?

If that's the case, then what we see in a final print, will be only a limited view of what the sensor can capture, and what a good monitor can show. That's why scanner software like VueScan - and image editing software like Photoshop - have built-in tools to show colors that are out of gamut. Mine is configured to show those values in lime green.

I may be mistaken, but the subject usually has the widest range of colors and tones, and the sensor captures a slice of that. The monitor shows a reduced portion of that capture. Finally, the print reveals a narrower slice of that.
    I wasn't thinking so much of color matching or out-of-gamut colors, which are unimportant in this context since we don't know or care what the original subject looked like and we're not planning to make a print from whatever images were shown in the link, but rather of the difference between viewing an image on a low resolution device like a computer monitor and a print from a high resolution device like a good printer. Aren't we probably viewing it on our monitors at something like 100 ppi whereas we'd likely be making at print at something like 300 ppi? I would have thought that difference affected perceptions of detail but then I'm no computer/printer expert.
    Brian Ellis

We can zoom in and out, and see the image at any resolution we like.